How am I doing weight loss wise?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• How am I doing weight loss wise?

I think I just need a little bit of reassurance.
      (Been knocked about a bit by these dreaded blues, which incidentally are getting better thanks to the added potato at night time - I'll update later on in the week)

Any ways, I started out at 95.7Kg and on my 9th week weight 90.9Kg (a little more now after the potatoe but I will wait until the end of the week to weigh in properly).

I would like to get down to 62Kg's if at all possible.

I am 47 and perimenopausal, doing OWL atm but must admit to cheating with nuts from time to time.

Am I doing okay? Is this too slow? Do I need a boot up the b*m?

p.s. I could not bring myself to use the tape measure, although I know this is a great idea. Maybe sometime soon.
    • Re: How am I doing weight loss wise?

Nah sometimes weight loss is just plain hard, hormones are not always on ones side and it always pays to have your thyroid checked if you keep having trouble.

But first things first, you're feeling better, this is good. Now perhaps you just need to tweak to help weight loss along. Do you exercise?
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

Hi Sherrie,

Yes I do exercise. I do 2 x 1 hour Nia classes per week. I have to be a bit careful due to the CFS (it's getting better too) as too much exercise will cause a relapse.

I'm thinking perhaps one more day of exercise, even a 30 minute walk would help.

I am so thankful that I am feeling better within myself. (Much less anxiety and depression).
      I'm still not where I was, but I will keep up with the potato per night and see where it gets me.

I do eat too many nuts. I intend to measure them out in future. What I used to get away when I was younger obviously can't be done now!

I am quite a short girl - 156cm's so this amount of weight really shows.

I guess I am quite happy living the way I am now - minus the depression - so I feel that I could keep doing this for a long time.
      When I was in induction, I was losing more, but I also knew that I couldn't keep it up for very long. I did it for 2 weeks and then went straight to OWL.

Perhaps I may need to be content with slow weight loss?

Once again, thanks for answering and all your help.

Ah you have CFS too! Well exercise isn't as simple then, don't over do it!

They say we have a lot of trouble converting energy for our body to use so perhaps that explains why you need the extra carbs at night. If you're doing heaps better I would be careful not to risk it. Is there anything particular that helped your recovery or was it just something that happened on its own? I relapsed a few years ago now and nothing has helped, running out of things to try! do you get your thyroid checked regularly? mine always show up normal but my last results a couple of months ago showed hashimotos so I have that now aswell.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Hi Sherrie,

Yeah I do have to be a bit careful with exercise especially cardio. I can lift weights til the cows come home, but cardio can knock me for a sixer. (I actually spent most of yesterday sleeping, but feeling better today).

I haven't have my thyroid checked for a long time now. (Very sorry to hear that you have problems in that area). :(

What I did to help the CFS? Well, I have had it for a very, very long time, and it took a very long time to get any improvment. I tried anything and everything and spent thousands and thousands of dollars.

It's going to sound weird but the only thing that really worked for me was using a "mind body" approach. I read all of Sarno's books (for carpal tunnel but ultimately it helped with the CFS) and applied the principles.
      (I liked the Mindbody Prescription the best)

Also, I started studying and my mind was focused on something other than the dreaded illness.

It wasn't any one thing though. But more than anything else, when I took the focus off it, it started to go.

I still get bad days, and some bad weeks, but it has improved by at least 80% I would say. I just can't go to the gym 5 days a week or walk 5 days a week. I could probably lift 5 days a week, but I don't want to. :)

I love my Nia dance class. It is beautiful exercise and most enjoyable.

Some days I feel frustrated by the limitations of the CFS, but most days I forget I have it and I have learned to live with the wicked tiredness and other weird stuff that comes with the disorder.

HTH in some small way.

Best,
      Grace

p.s. Do you reckon I am doing okay weight loss wise all things considered?

I think so, you only just made the change with the carbs at night.

Unfortunately since the relapse weights make me worse also and I can't grip the bars for very long before my hands cramp up. Glad you're feeling better!