Loosing motivation for BT- How to get it back?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Loosing motivation for BT- How to get it back?

Hey Guys,

When I started Body trim 4 weeks ago I was very keen and motivated and have been for the last 4 weeks but I am loosing motivation quickly as the scales jump a few kilos after the free day and on my next freeday are only back to the same they were before my last free day.

This has lead to me taking a second free day and then having a few snacks through the week. I am loosing motivation and can't be bothered to get in the Kitchen and cook all the foods I used to.

I know this diet works because I saw it working in the first 10 days but not being able to hit my goal of getting into the 70's is starting to really take its toll on me.

I am begging and hoping that someone can give me tips on getting my motivation back for this diet. (It doesnt help that this week I have been very sick and after every protein snack have been over a bucket feeling very nauseous)

Please, please help :(
    • Re: Loosing motivation for BT- How to get it back?

Dani:) wrote:

Hey Guys,

When I started Body trim 4 weeks ago I was very keen and motivated and have been for the last 4 weeks but I am loosing motivation quickly as the scales jump a few kilos after the free day and on my next freeday are only back to the same they were before my last free day.

This has lead to me taking a second free day and then having a few snacks through the week. I am loosing motivation and can't be bothered to get in the Kitchen and cook all the foods I used to.

I know this diet works because I saw it working in the first 10 days but not being able to hit my goal of getting into the 70's is starting to really take its toll on me.

I am begging and hoping that someone can give me tips on getting my motivation back for this diet. (It doesnt help that this week I have been very sick and after every protein snack have been over a bucket feeling very nauseous)

Please, please help :(

Hi Dani
      It can be hard to stay focused we all loose weight differently mine is slowly. Maybe you could start writing down everything you eat in your diary this will give the more experienced BT's and LC's a better idea of were they can help. I know after I started to do this I was much more aware of everything that went in my mouth.
      Hang in there as you said it has worked for you so if you stay strong Im sure that you will get those scales moving again.
      Lea
      If it's meant to be it's up to me!

hey dani,

sorry to hear you are having a tough time :(. what do you think is making you feel low, do you not like the foods you "should" be eating? do you have cravings for other things? or is it mostly the numbers on the scales? how do you feel besides the scales not moving? how's you energy, mood, sleep patterns, etc?

hugs,
      lea
      - Thought creates reality and then says I didn't do it! -

First of all, you need to stop weighing yourself after your free day. This is a big no-no. You will always be heavier following free day due to the water weight you will be retaining from the carbs and by weighing yourself after free day you are only going to upset yourself and put yourself in a bad mindframe. So stick to weighing yourself once a week only, on the morning of your free day (after the toilet but before you eat or drink anything).

Now I don't need to tell you this as I'm sure you know, but having two free days every week is going to make it virtually impossible to lose weight (especially if you are going crazy on your free days). It can take up to a week for the weight from ONE free day to disappear, so having two is going to make it impossible. And having non-compliant (carb) snacks during the week will do much more harm than you realise. If you are eating carb foods on their own without any protein/fat, you will trigger an insulin response and won't burn any fat for the rest of the day. So if you are doing this several times per week you can see how it will add up.

If you are sick of meat snacks, it is time to get creative and make some of the recipes that use cottage/ricotta cheese. You can make sweet things that are like eating a treat/dessert and this will be a nice break from the meat. Check out the BT forum recipe sections (Snacks and Member Recipes section). There is even a recipe for chocolate fudge muffins.

What it all comes down to though, is you need to win the battle in your head. Obviously your mind has decided it doesn't want to do this and you are sabotaging yourself. You need to change that mindframe. It is all about being positive and getting excited about the changes you are making, and also telling yourself that you CAN do this. Don't let a small result on the scales put you off. If you lose a small amount, what do you think is going to be better for you? Sabotaging yourself by having two free days so you put that small amount back on and more? Or soldiering on, sticking to the program and losing another small amount the next week? You didn't put all that weight on overnight so you won't lose it overnight either. Slow and steady is the way to do it. Eating this way is a lifestyle change, not a diet that you get on and off. You need to embrace this new way of eating and get excited about it! You might find that you really enjoy it if you give it a chance!

For me, I find that constantly seeking out new dinner recipes so I don't get bored really helps. Also, if you are not already doing so, getting your planned walk done first thing in the morning will really energise you and get you set up for a great day. Never underestimate the power of exercise, even the smallest amount can make you feel absolutely fantastic.

Last of all, you just need to be organised. If you make a couple of days worth of meals/snacks in one go, you won't even have to think about it as you will have plenty of compliant food ready to go and won't be able to make excuses.

Hope that helps!

Thanks so much guys for all your handy tips.

Lea I think the main thing for me is the scales. My energy is great, mood fantastic and I sleep brilliantly every night. I crave other foods occasionally but find that I can easily turn them down knowing I have a free day coming and then even when I have a free day I dont get much enjoyment out of eating bad foods. My partner has gone off the BT wol a bit, he has never worried about his weight much and only started the diet because he knew it meant alot to me to see him getting healthy (I would love him at every size but notice that his excessive sweating and heavy breathing could be signs that he is unhealthy and I really want him to be healthy)
      And about liking the BT coompliant foods, I actually do really enjoy them. Its just getting in the kitchen and cooking them that is starting to wear me down a little bit.

LTR I am going to start writing down what I eat in the day in my diary after today (I had a moment and went in to the kitchen to cook myself 2 schmoor poptarts so I think I may have ruined today).

Melly845 Thank you so much for your help. I definitely agree with the not weighing myself after a free day thing. I am going to be strong for the next 10 days and stick to this lifestyle doing everything by the book and by the time it comes to my next free day I am hoping to see a change but I don't think I will be so dissapointed this time if I see one.
      I have never ever stuck anything out this long, so for me I really should be looking at it as a success regardless of the scales.
      ANd your also right about the two free days thing, I am going to start having them on Sunday so at work on Monday it will be much easier to stick to a PO day. I am also aware that I shouldnt be snacking on foods that are not BT compliant, I will be heading over to the recipe section now!

You have all done it, I am motivated again and regardless of how sick I feel I am about to jump in the shower, head down the shops and get some ingrediants and spend the next few hours cooking my self up some BT compliant meals for the next few days :)

That's what I do with my free days too Dani, I always try to have them on Sunday because I know I could never stick to a PO day on a weekend. Having my PO days on Monday when I'm at work makes it easy.

I totally understand about not wanting to get in the kitchen and cook, with BT it is always constant planning and you always have to be thinking about what you're going to be eating the next day. I think it wears the best of us down! But it is all worth it in the end and we just need to keep reminding ourselves of that :)

My partner is not overweight but he still eats the BT dinners that I make (I wouldn't make two separate meals) and he just eats what he wants when he is at work during the day and also snacks at night if he is still hungry after dinner. Hopefully if you can set a good example for your partner he might get back on track, I understand what it's like to be worried about his health (my ex was very overweight and unhealthy).

I feel for you Dani because i am exactly the same. At first i found it really hard, near impossible to get back into the right mind set after my free day, then my scales were not moving at all, them i kind of got sick of meat and now, well me and the kitchen have fallen out.

I have the time to plan and cook my meals but im just not motivated to do it. Im not sure if its because i have a holiday coming up soon and i know i wont follow bt whilst im away or what but hey, youve done amazingly - dont let it slip like i have!

take care

emma x
      [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][CENTER]:) Trying To Hitch A Lift To Skinnyville :)[/CENTER][/FONT]
      [CENTER][Blocked Image: http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wTt0fzq/weight.png]
      [/CENTER]

Im so with you Dani,

Im trying so hard to not fall off the wagon... Im halfway through week 3 and while I havent broken it yet I feel sooo close! Ive been so good...but its getting harder and so boring eating those PO snacks. I couldnt face them today and only had the three meals, but tonight Im starving! Been eating a PO snack every hour nearly.

I suppose the consolation for me and hopefully you too... is knowing there is a bunch of us, all trying to do the same thing at the same time. That really helps me... Just knowing someone else is out there feeling and struggling the same as me... All of us looking in the same direction, to weight loss and health.

I hope tomorrow finds you and me and those in our shoes with a new found strength...

Good luck! :)

Dani:) wrote:

Lea I think the main thing for me is the scales. My energy is great, mood fantastic and I sleep brilliantly every night. I crave other foods occasionally but find that I can easily turn them down knowing I have a free day coming and then even when I have a free day I dont get much enjoyment out of eating bad foods.

hi dani,

this is a great place to be in, really, and much better than the other way around... if you had a fast weight loss but would constantly crave other foods, were in a bad and depressed mood and had low energy, the only thing you would achieve is ending bt eventually and reverting to eating everything that made you gain weight in the first place and you'd end up in a yo-yo cicle... if that were the case i'd have suggested making some adjustments to the food and see if you feel better, but the way it is, the best thing to do seems to be forgetting about the numbers on the scale. enjoy feeling good and your body will follow voluntarily in its own pace!

cheers,
      lea
      - Thought creates reality and then says I didn't do it! -

It does certainly help knowing that there are other people out their in the same situation as us. This weekend, I went out to dinner and movies with my sister and her fiance, we had dinner at Nandos and I stuck to chicken tenderloins and salad! Then they both got ice cream and I turned that down as well. So many times this weekend I have thought that I will give this diet up but I haven't I have soldiered on. I am hoping for a good number on the scale by the end of this week I really want to be in the 70's. I know that seeing that number would probably be the push I needed to get back into it full force.

I also played soccer today so am very sore and tired but it makes me not want to cheat knowing the work out I just had!!

Thanks guys :)

If you continue to struggle with BT then my suggestion would be to go on to Atkins, whilst you don't have planned free days you also don't have protein only days nor do you have to eat 6 times a day if you don't want to or restrict yourself to 50g and 100g portions. You can have fat, cheese and cream if you need, you can increase your veg and fruit intake (and grains if tolerated) as you progress through the stages making it easier to turn into a lifestyle. In the end it's a lot less limiting and tasty, if you have the odd slip up that's ok just get straight back on.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.