Is this where I am going wrong?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Is this where I am going wrong?

I am trying to record everything I eat including all the home-made recipies.

I just input my Chocolate Icecream into Food Standards and this is what I got -

CREAM, PURE (FAT > 35%) 757.50
      MILK, FLUID, WHOLE, FULL FAT (FAT > 4%) 154.50
      (C) ERYTHRITOL 400.00
      COCOA POWDER 60.00
      VANILLA ARTIFICIAL EXTRACT, CONTAINS ALCOHOL 26.00

Now the calculations -

Energy (kJ) 2374.11 1010.26
      Protein (g) 5.25 2.24
      Fat, Total (g) 57.16 24.32
      Fat, Saturated (g) 37.71 16.05
      Carbohydrate (g) 8.62 3.67
      Sugars (g) 4.90 2.08
      Sodium (mg) 68.20 29.02

So if I have done this right, and I am having about 235 mls per serve, my kj's are up to a massive 2374 per serve!

The ingredients are -
      750mls Pauls Pure Cream
      150ml Full Fat Milk
      1/4 cup Cocoa powder (Pure, organic)
      2 tablespoons of Queens Vanilla Essence

From this I get approx 6 -7 serves.

Could somebody please take a look and see if this is correct?

If it is - I have found the culprit and will stop eating it altogether.

Thank you once again,
      Grace
    • Re: Is this where I am going wrong?

Low carb ice cream is very calorie dense so you don't want big serves, I used to serve mine in those small half cup pyrex dishes to make sure I didn't go overboard.

kjs though are not calories (incase you don't realise as some people don't). To get the calorie amount, you need to divide by 4.18 so 2374kj = 568 cal

Ok I just went to calorie king and estimating 1/4 cup of cocoa to be 20g I got 2967 calories for the entire recipe. If you divide by 6 you get 495 cal and if you divide by 7 you get 424 cal.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

Thank you once again Sherrie.

I am so confused. I know I am doing something wrong because now I am putting on weight plus my scale is saying that I am putting on body fat!

I think I really just need to log absolutely everything into a simple, easy to use calorie/carb/fat counter and post the results here.

I am willing to pay for one that is very user friendly because as you can see, I obviously got the icecream wrong even though I double checked it!

I am going to go have a practice on calorie king and see if I can come up with the same amount as you did. (Just to see if I can do it properly)

I'm just confused and tying myself in knots because I am trying very hard - cooking from scratch and in ketosis but struggling with weight and depression and sore muscles etc. I know I am doing things incorrectly or perhaps I need more carbs I can't be sure.

If I can just get a log going to show you people who know what you are doing, I am sure you could head me in the right direction.

But for now - half the icecream at night.

Okay - I can see why I am putting on weight. I am eating over 3000 calories per day!!!

You see, I really didn't think that I needed to worry about the calories with Atkins. As long as I kept under the allowed carbs and in ketosis I pretty much thought I was on the right track.

Any way here is a sample of my menu - I have adjusted it now so that I will be getting around 2000 carbs per day. Hopefully this will help me to start losing again.

I hope I've done it right and have the right amount of carbs/fat/protein. I had to reduce the protein as it was upping the calories. I have put brackets around the things that I intend to change or get rid of altogether.

Sample Menu –

Breakfast -
      I Egg – 147
      (200g chicken) Instead 100g chicken – 187
      1 home made low carb biscuit - 75

Total – 409

Lunch –
      I Oopsie Roll – 85
      1 cup Spinach Leafs – 16
      3 slices tomoto – 12
      ¼ avocado – 82
      1 tblspn Tommi Mayonaise – 151
      3 thin slices of ham - 108
      (2 tblespns homemade custard – 198) No more of this
      2 Tblespons Jelly Lite – 9

Total - 463

Dinner –
      (Steak 200g – 850) Instead steak 100g - 425
      Pumpkin mashed with butter, herbs 2 scoops – 50
      1 tablespoon butter – 148
      Zucchinis 1 average – 43
      Mushrooms in cream – 70
      Icecream (2 scoops)– Instead, 1 scoop icecream - 248
      Nuts - cashews (and macadamias about 1 cup – 883) Instead 20 medium cashews - 179

Total - 984

Total Calories Per Day – 2035 calories

What do you think? Do I have the right idea now? An I doing my Atkins properly now?

(stats - 48 years, female, 156cms, 91.02Kg, small frame, 2 x 1 hour exercise per week, perimenopausal)

Thank you so much for all your help Sherrie. I don't know why I am getting confused this time. I have done Atkins before, and had huge success on it. This time I am all over the place and can't seem to find my footing and get into the gentle swing of it.

Usually ketosis suppresses your appetite enough that you eat in a deficit anyway but it's not always so.

Are you sure though, that your 100g of steak is over 400 calories?

If you weigh your steak raw then use the calorie amounts for it's raw weight and then add whatever fat you cook with it. Cashews are not a good nut to have atm as they are high in carbs. Best nuts are brazil nuts, macadamias, almonds, walnuts and pecans. But I think what you need to do is add more filling to your dinner instead such as green veggies like broccoli. Broccoli is only 0.4g per 100g

Personally I don't eat dessert unless as an occasional treat, I prefer to replace a meal such as breakfast with a sweet such as a piece of cheesecake.

I would probably start off at 1800 cal and go from there.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Hey Sherrie,

Not sure about the steak. I took a look at Calorie King again and there are differing amounts.:confused:

I see where I have been going wrong, so I am going to re-read the book and start again.

I added too much too soon and didn't take into account quantities.

I'll report in a couple of weeks or so. Feeling more confident now that I know where I am going wrong.

Thanks again for your help.

I ended up gaining on Atkins too because there were no portion restrictions (regarding amounts of protein). That's why I ended up on Bodytrim as I need some portion limitations. If I am told to eat until I am full, I eat far too much, if I am told to eat 100g, I eat 100g. For an example, an Atkins breakfast I would eat is 2-3 scrambled eggs (mixed with 1 tblsp cream) plus 3 or so rashers of bacon then topped with grated cheese. On BT (only having 100g protein) I get to eat 1 scrambled egg + 50 grams bacon (which equals 2 pieces of shortcut bacon) and that's it and I am full on that :) I would be full on the Atkins brekky too but for alot more calories than I probably needed :)

Some lucky people can use their satiety levels as a good gauge for them food wise, but I am not one of these people, I am pretty sure I have read that if your leptin levels are out (which mine are WAYYYY out) your satiety levels end up being screwed :(. I need to be told how much to eat and when to eat it or I gain.

Thanks TLP. This sounds a lot like me too! I was thinking the other day that I need to look at portion size.

I remember when I was doing WW (lost all the weight, put it back on again), having portion sizes really helped.

I still think I am eating too much protein, although since adjusting things I have lost another 800grams this week which I am very happy with.

Bit by bit I will get it right I think. I love the food on Atkins and eating 3 times per day suites me very well.

Your welcome Grace :) I have to admit, I also love the food on Atkins (probably way too much!) and I end up going over board :( My fave foodgroup is dairy and I think I eat too much cream/cheese/butter on Atkins. I may need to go back onto it sometime in the future though as I have found out recently that I have the symptoms and the genetic marker for an arthritic disease called Ankylosing Spondylitis and they highly recommend a starch free diet for symptom remission. BT does cut down the starch dramatically so I am doing well on it so far but as the disease progresses I may find that my tolerance for starch gets worse, then it will be back to Atkins :)

You can portion size on Atkins if you need too. Most people do by the time they get closer to goal. Ultimately, to be able to get through maintenance you need to learn how to judge things yourself. There's some old menus here: Low Carb Menus

But 800g is a good loss, if you can do that each week then you're doing well :)