growth hormones in meat

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• growth hormones in meat

a short but interesting article i found in the course of my research about vegetarism...

Animal Hormones Cause Obesity

Animal hormones are given to farm animals to fatten them up for market. The hormones in meat can also fatten us up as well. If we are what we eat, then we are what the animals we eat - eat.

After a weight loss plateau, I learned about the hormones in meat. I started eating grass fed beef, pastured pork, and free range chicken. I quickly started losing weight again.

People on a low carbohydrate diet should be especially careful of hormones because low carbohydrate diets usually involve eating a lot of meat.

• Hormones in Meat

They are given animal growth hormones and/or estrogen to fatten them up for sale. To make matters worse, these are synthetic hormones. These hormones wind up in our meats, eggs, and milk products.
      Low carb diets usually involve eating lots of meat, eggs, and dairy. There is nothing wrong with eating meat, eggs, and dairy as long as they are from healthy, naturally raised animals.

• Hormones and Weight Gain

I once talked to the former manager of a commercial beef farm. He informed me about the growth hormones, estrogen, and antibiotics used in feed lots.
      Beef cows are sent to feed lots to fatten them up before production. When a cow comes to a feed lot, it weighs about 800 pounds.
      They feed them grain with antibiotics. They also give them bovine growth hormones RGBH and estrogen.
      These cows go from 800 pounds to 1,500 pounds in 60 to 90 days.
      • Hormones and Weight Gain

If these animal hormones cause cows to gain weight this quickly, what do you think happens when you eat the hormones in meat? You gain weight.
      I lost significant weight once I quit eating USDA grocery store meats and eggs. Hormones and weight loss don't mix.

• Hormones in Chicken

Hormones are given to chickens to give them large breasts and make them lay more eggs. The growth hormones in food might make you grow large as well.
      Early puberty in girls is not uncommon these days. Doctors just shrug it off as normal. I believe it is caused by animal hormones and soy in our food.

• America is Fat just like Our Animals

America and a few other countries are the only countries that do this to our meat, and we are the fattest countries in the world. Hormones and weight loss just don't go together. You need to eliminate animal hormones from your diet to lose weight.

• Meat, eggs, and Dairy are Good for You

It is easy to think about becoming a vegetarian due to the hormones in meat. The problem is, meat is good for us. When I don't eat meat, I get very hungry.
      Hungry people have a tendency to eat things they shouldn't like junk food or sugar. The answer is to find a local farm to buy grass fed beef, pastured pork, free range chickens and eggs, and raw milk from grass fed cows.

The meat from healthy animals is a great source of protein, fats, omega 3 fatty acid, and Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA). CLA is a known cancer fighter. Feeding grain to cows virtually eliminates omega 3 fatty acid and CLA. Cows are meant to eat grass, clover, and alfalfa, not grain and soy.

• How to Adjust to a Hormone-Free Lifestyle

Once you find local sources, it's not hard to adjust. We enjoy our weekly trips to the farm where we get beef, chicken, eggs, and milk. It's nice to have a relationship with the people who raise our food.

You can also help our planet in the process. The average item in our grocery stores travel 1,500 miles to get to our kitchens. Buying from local sources will reduce the carbon fuels used to deliver your food.

You may want to buy a deep freezer to take advantage of bulk prices when buying 1/4 or 1/2 of a side of beef. The farm we buy from sells individual vacuum packed cuts of beef as well as bulk quantities.

when you see things like this, it's easy to believe it can't be healthy....

youtube.com/watch?v=rixK2iS8Reg
      - Thought creates reality and then says I didn't do it! -
    • Re: growth hormones in meat

We have a lot more restrictions in the treatment towards our animals then the US though I think there's still holes. People in the US kill for our meat.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.