Exercising full on while in Ketosis

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Exercising full on while in Ketosis

Hi,

Just wanted to ask.. I am now in Ketosis and averaging 5 RPM classes and two PT sessions a week.

Should I be eating more? It is just that sometimes I feel a bit faint and my heart rate gets up very high.

Never have I combined low carb with this much exercise before.

Any tips or hints would be good. I am just doing low carb.. Started off with the 17 day diet but then started back on Atkins.

Thanks. :)
    • Re: Exercising full on while in Ketosis

Hey Tams,

You might be experiencing electrolyte issues, I would probably be getting some electrolytes in (specifically sodium and potassium) and probably experimenting with carb intake. I don't think very low carb goes with intensive exercise, particularly if intensive cardio. That doesn't mean give up but just raise your intake to a level that makes you feel best whilst still giving you the benefits you're after, e.g. weight loss, blood sugar control, better moods etc
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • Re: Exercising full on while in Ketosis

Mhm, I had the same issues. I normally run 5 to 8kms 4 times a week and strength train 3 days a week. I definitely had the light headed thing going on and salt definitely helps a lot. My rule of thumb is that if you lick salt (I literally pour some in my hand and lick it lolll) and it tastes good then that's what I needed. It's kind of weird; it definitely tastes salty, but not in a repulsive way. I'm also lucky, cause I got my hands on some potassium pills when I got sick a few months back and the doctors gave me a prescription for potassium pills cause I was throwing up & losing electrolytes. I never took them then, but I'm taking now haha. It really helps.

I also take a multivitamin for women. I don't know if you have the same thing in Australia, but my preferred multivitamin is One-a-Day for Women with Metabolism Boost. It has caffeine in it, so if I forget to make coffee in the morning I don't end up with a pounding headache. ^^