Maltitol kicked me out of Ketosis?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Maltitol kicked me out of Ketosis?

Hey guys,
      I'm not really familiar with this ketosis stuff and the terminology, so sorry if I get it wrong!

I'm on BT and on Friday I checked and found I was in ketosis for the first time (not that I check regularly or anything, but it was exciting to find out), I decided to skip my free day on Saturday since this week I've had the highest loss I've ever had apart from detox (800gm) and I'm going away for 2 days on Wednesday (tomorrow now) and will be having 2 free days in a row.

On Sunday (PO) suddenly I had these cravings for everything naughty (not skipping free days again ever!!) I've never been a chocolate eater but I spazzed out and had a handful of lollies, a sugarless wafer chocolate bar (sugarlessco.com/prod_range.htm…odsubcat_id=16&prod_id=53) , and 6 squares of sugar free chocolate. Let's just say I stayed in the bathroom for the rest of the day after that...

Yesterday (Monday) I apparently didn't learn my lesson, and had another 8 squares of chocolate ( here is the link for it sugarlessco.com/prod_range.htm…dsubcat_id=11&prod_id=310). (Actually I just checked the box, there's only 2 rows left, so either someone else has been at my chocolate, or I hate over half the block yesterday BAHHAHAH)

Since after Monday night I have tested negative for Ketosis.
      I did some googling, and have found that Maltitol can rise the blood glucose level (not sure if sites are trustworthy, couldn't find or access any scientific articles to confirm or dispute this) .

Did I just waste my efforts of saving my freeday by having these?
      Or is it normal to fluctuate in and out of Ketosis like this?
    • Re: Maltitol kicked me out of Ketosis?

Are you having a carb at breakfast? Having said that maltitol is well known to cause problems, it has very low tolerance levels. If you want low carb sugar-free chocolate your best choice is well naturally which contains erythritol and stevia. You will find this in the health food section of most supermarkets. Erythritol is the most tolerated but is only 75% as sweet as sugar. Xylitol is as sweet as sugar and has a good mouth feel but it's not as well tolerated as erythritol. However much better tolerated then other sugar alcohols. I would choose erythritol first, xylitol second and avoid the rest.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

Hi Sherrie,

Yes I've had Trim Start every morning since I received it (apart from PO days), between 1/2 cup to 1 cup per day.
      I'm not usually a chocolate eater. Might have a binge session twice a year. I guess this could have been it for this 6 months :) I did a search and noticed others talking about Lindt 85%, and will look for that and keep it as an emergency stash for next time I think.

I have 85%, it's very strong but you do develop a taste for it. I find regular chocolate way too sweet now so I figure it was worth it :)
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

Ohh Kandy be careful of overindulging on Maltitol. I have never had issues with it kicking me out of keto, but when I get a little excited I have also spent some painful time in the bathroom! Everyone seems to have their own tolerances for it. I also find it depends what else I have eaten as to if I get belly pains.
      Let's just say one day I was havign a really bad day and ate an entire sugarless block of chocolate (it was really yummy I couldn't help myself!), and I found out that that is considered "excessive consumption" like they state on the packet :p