Body Trim questions

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Body Trim questions

Hi guys

I have a BT snack question. What is a food snack to have in my handbag for when I am out? Obviously can't have cold meat. And I think getting a tin of tuna out might be a little stinky lol. What are your fav protein only snacks?

Also I think BT is making me a little constipated. Might go to the chemist today and see if there is a supplement I can take. Any advice?
    • Re: Body Trim questions

Protein bars or small packs of nuts are probably best for on-the-go snacks. Nuts aren't technically allowed but having them once in a while doesn't hurt.

Low-carb/high-protein diet will definitely make you constipated. It is recommended to take a daily fibre supplement, just make sure you take it a few hours before or after your vitamin supplements otherwise your vitamins won't be absorbed. I use Benefibre, it mixes into any liquid or soft food and you can't even taste it at all.

Hi Sarah,
      I have a protein bar and a tin of tuna/salmon in my handbag at all times. Yes the tuna smells, but I think everyone is used to people eating tuna these days, it's so cheap and quite healthy. Depends on where you are though, wouldn't pull it out in a cinema or something though, lol

Sarah1978 wrote:

Hi guys- I have a BT snack question. What is a food snack to have in my handbag for when I am out??Also I think BT is making me a little constipated. Might go to the chemist today and see if there is a supplement I can take. Any advice

Sarah I love the Atkin's Bars from the Supermarket, they are usually about $2.00 a bar but I only keep them for if I'm out of the house, they are low carbs, sugar and more importantly they taste good, my fave is Cappuchno nut.
      In regards to fibre I have the orange flavoured Metamucil, it takes a little while to get used to but you'll see the differance quite quickly.
      [COLOR="Magenta"]Do you choose to simply know the path, or do you choose to walk it?[/COLOR]
      :cool:
      [COLOR="Purple"]Discipline is remembering what you want.[/COLOR]:D

[COLOR="Lime"]IT'S NOT ABOUT HOW GOOD YOU ARE BUT HOW BAD YOU WANT IT!![/COLOR] :rolleyes:

[Blocked Image:
      http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wFnyGLZ/weight.png]

Canned Tuna is not a health food, Tuna is notorious for high amounts of mercury being a big fish and canned tuna often has most of the beneficial oils removed for fish oil supplements. It's not something you should ever eat a lot of ESPECIALLY on a daily basis. What is a health food is the small fish, high in omega 3s and low in heavy metals and other toxins that contaminate our oceans!
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

Sherrie wrote:

Canned Tuna is not a health food, Tuna is notorious for high amounts of mercury being a big fish and canned tuna often has most of the beneficial oils removed for fish oil supplements. It's not something you should ever eat a lot of ESPECIALLY on a daily basis. What is a health food is the small fish, high in omega 3s and low in heavy metals and other toxins that contaminate our oceans!

Oh I read something a long time ago, but thought it was bad for pregnant people only.
      I should have written perceived as healthy food then! Most people think it is :/

Is tinned Salmon okay?

Sherrie, it was really interesting to read what you said on canned tuna fish. Everybody here really respects and take a keen interest on your views on health and food. I was wondering if you could put a list up on what foods you don't like health and diet wise for us (except for the obvious bad carb ones.:D).

xclairemarie wrote:

Hey guys,
      I accidentally posted a question in the wrong head so sorry

First question, can I have smoked salmon on my proton only days and can I also have cottage cheese as a protein on the detox?
      :confused:

Claire, go to this thread, there are some links that may answer your questions, there's a few good posts in the Bodytrim in a Nutshell thread that you may find very helpful: Bodytrim Diet 2
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

JulieH wrote:

Sherrie, it was really interesting to read what you said on canned tuna fish. Everybody here really respects and take a keen interest on your views on health and food. I was wondering if you could put a list up on what foods you don't like health and diet wise for us (except for the obvious bad carb ones.:D).

Thanks Julie, I may do that but not everyone will like my opinion on some things :D

But generally with bad low carb foods it comes down to avoiding big fish, unfermented soy (which is in a lot of foods), pre ground flax as well as cooking flax/linseed due to it being so unstable, vegetable oils, artificial sweeteners, some processed low carb foods that contain junk but these are usually ruled out simply by avoiding soy! Some of the worst offenders that may surprise are things like what everyone calls chevaps, real chevaps shouldn't be full of fillers etc they should be just a sausage shape meat patty with some flavourings such as garlic and herbs, that's it. Unfortunately the ones in supermarkets these days have an ingredient list longer then your arm, go to the butcher instead! Oh and try to always cook your brassica, don't eat raw cabbage every day, it may be low carb but it's also a goitrogen (like soy and flax/linseed), the type of goitrogen in brassica is said to be broken down in the cooking process and makes it less of a problem.

The problem with goitrogens is they negatively effect our thyroid by blocking important minerals needed to make thyroid hormones like iodine. Something anyone with a weight problems for obvious reasons cannot afford!

Next things to consider is storage and this is tricky because a lot of low carb foods come in plastic which are unavoidable. I just do the best I can and where I can control the storage I do e.g. if I make something myself I store it in glass. If I have an option between buying something in glass or plastic I choose glass. The biggest things are anything acidic like tomatoes and anything high in fat because these are the worst at leeching, always buy cooking oil in glass bottles because these are readily available (no excuses!), dark bottles if you have the option and always store them in a cupboard. Cans are usually lined with a plastic coating which isn't a good thing. I still occasionally use canned tomatoes but I am hoping to get to a position where I provide all my tomatoes myself.

Then on top of that you need to think of what you cook in, I avoid non stick coatings like the plague, I would rather cook in a bit of oil/fat then have the crap leech into my food! I have read claims of some new coating that are safer but personally I am weary and really don't see a need personally to risk them being bad too. Mind you with just about everything being made in China whom knows what contains what these days!

With these materials, these contain superficial hormones and toxins that again will effect our thyroid and other things, bad for children, blamed for things like early puberty, sterility in boys, cancers and so on. Some types of plastic are now being removed from a lot of baby food containers etc which is a good thing.

Of course then you go into pesticides etc, same problems and harder again to control, just do the best you can with the options you have. There is a list here some where that shows the veggies/fruit that are commonly sprayed the most like strawberries and celery. Another thing I have seen is some kind of soap you can buy to wash them first after you buy them, I haven't tried it though. Mind you like big fish this problem is bigger the bigger up the food chain you go AKA meat and dairy but this is expensive so not easy to go organic there, you just have to do the best you can, avoid what you can afford to avoid etc I often see organic mince reduced in woolies when it gets close to use bye so I grab it when I see it.

Debt or stressing over what you can't control, isn't good for you health either!

Thanks Sherrie I hav to say thinking about what I'm putting in my mouth has led me to make better choices about all the ingredients too. Whilst I can't always shop at farmers markets I have found a direct from farm meat supplier and am building relationships with local stores so I know where they get product from. I'd never thought about this stuff before..

It's great to hear your thoughts. Thanks:p:D

melly845 wrote:

Protein bars or small packs of nuts are probably best for on-the-go snacks. Nuts aren't technically allowed but having them once in a while doesn't hurt.

Low-carb/high-protein diet will definitely make you constipated. It is recommended to take a daily fibre supplement, just make sure you take it a few hours before or after your vitamin supplements otherwise your vitamins won't be absorbed. I use Benefibre, it mixes into any liquid or soft food and you can't even taste it at all.

I didn't know that about vitamin absorption and using Benefibre (I use psyillum). I'd just finished a jar of multivitamins and felt no different because I took both together.:rolleyes: Learn something everyday :)

Cheers,
      Anna

Don't lose hope just yet, laurensuccess. Since you've only resumed today, give it time. I'd be looking for even a 1-2 kg loss after a week, but it depends how much you have to lose.

From my experience, plateaus don't usually kick in until much later.

Hi laurensuccess I've had day where I'm super good and lose 100 grams my best weight is straight after po day and when I up my steps but my loss was 5 kgs big the first week but now after 3 weeks it's a total of 7.. I have over 40 to lose and even if it's only a 100g loss it's a loss

Don't give up

Weighing in after PO day is not a good idea, since it is straight after free day and you will most likely still be holding water weight from the carbs consumed on free day. Best time of the week to weigh in is the morning of free day, before you eat or drink anything. This is when you should be at your lightest for the week.