What is wrong - BT doesn't seem to be working?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• What is wrong - BT doesn't seem to be working?

So I did the 3 day detox and followed the program to the letter for 7 days including drinking 2 l of water and walking each day and I have lost 0.5kg.... I am 129kg and I was so inspired after reading people had lost 5kg+ in the first week. Surely at my weight I should have lost a bigger number than half a kilo??

I'm so disheartened. I have truly tried my hardest but feel completely despondent. I had given this my all - at this weight its going to take me forever to see a difference

Does anyone har any advice?
      I was actually in tears when I weighed today
      :(
    • Re: What is wrong - BT doesn't seem to be working?

Ok then that's your answer :)

When we eat carbohydrates the glucose is stored in our muscles, organs and liver. When the glucose is stored, it also stores 3 to 4 times it's weight in water with it. This is why when you first start low carb you lose usually 2-3 kg in the first 3-4 days and also why you immediately gain some or all of that back after eating a high amount of carbohydrates.

So what has happened is that, due to your free day yesterday you're muscles are storing some glucose and thus fluid, this will go in the next 2-3 days.

To avoid this confusion I always recommend to have your official weigh in on the morning of your free day BEFORE you eat those carbs.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

Agree with Sherrie, you must weigh in on the morning of your free day (before eating or drinking anything) and never after. You must have lost a pretty big amount if you still showed a 0.5kg loss AFTER your free day, so be happy! :)

Well done smarty Pants :D

I have a question. I have been doing BT, this is week 2 for me. I bought the book/dvds/cds from Collins Bookship, best $$ I have spent.

Anyhow, you guys say that you usually gain 2-3kg after your free day. So does that mean by the time you weigh in again (morning of free day) that those 2-3kg are gone PLUS what you have lost for that week??

I lost 4.4kg the first week and stood on the scales this morning and am exactly what I was on Saturday morning (my free day) so seeing as it's only Wednesday and I still have today, Thurs, Friday before I WI again, should I expect a loss? I have been weighing in every morning :( I know that's naughty of me.

I have been following BT and reading, re reading the book and have achieved a min of 10,000 steps a day.

I think my hubby needs to hide the scales, I can them becoming a hazard to my motivation :eek:

Yes pretty much by the morning of your next free day you should lose all of the weight gain from the previous free day plus extra. 500g to 1kg is a good actual loss to aim for but there will be ups and downs. Only the extremely lucky (usually men) lose weight consistently every week. Personally, I don't subscribe to the need to hide scales or only weigh once a week - but you should use the weight on the morning of your free day as your measurement of your progress. Other weigh ins such as if you weigh daily, are merely just for curiosity.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Yep, you should lose the free day weight plus more by the time your next free day rolls around.

I think if you can see the scales becoming a hazard to your motivation then it is a good idea to stick to weighing only once a week. If you are like Sherrie however and can understand daily fluctuations and not be upset by them, you would be ok weighing more often.

G'day just a newboy and shy .

started BTyesterday but bought the plan two years ago.

thanks for this site - i think i can do it.

need to dump about 40k so am a real mess - pants to tight - belts dont fit - health not good but i have taken 73 years to get into this state.

how can i get one of those measurement tapes that are on your posts. that could help a lot.

trying hard to get back to lawn bowls and BT is my best bet.

Merry Christmas to all

peter

Welcome Peter :)

Those measuring tapes are called tickers, people like to put them in their signature so that they automatically appear whenever they post. Signatures are initially disabled to newcomers but only to ward of spam as features like this are very popular for abuse by spammers, you can read about it here:

Custom avatars, signatures and other features

My dad loves his lawn bowls, I played it for a little while socially when I used to live across from my Uncle whom also loves his lawn bowls, long time a go now, I was pretty bad :)

peterseaford wrote:

G'day just a newboy and shy .

started BTyesterday but bought the plan two years ago.

thanks for this site - i think i can do it.

need to dump about 40k so am a real mess - pants to tight - belts dont fit - health not good but i have taken 73 years to get into this state.

how can i get one of those measurement tapes that are on your posts. that could help a lot.

trying hard to get back to lawn bowls and BT is my best bet.

Merry Christmas to all

peter

I'm new too. At 39, 4 children and a major op two years ago followed by a permanent neck injury, the weight seems to have found me. This looks like a great program, I've been interested in nutrition since my teens and haven't had a problem til these last few years. I'm 70 kilos I think but want to get to 57. I started lawnbowls two years ago but with my injury fear I'll not play again. Don't be disheartened by the amount you need to lose. It's a journey and speaking with others will help keep you positive!