It takes a life time

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• It takes a life time

It takes a life time to get where I am. I didn't get to this shape because I ate one big mac once or because I had a second serve of dessert once. I got this way because I ate the wrong stuff all the time, didn't exercise, didn't drink water and when I did try to do the right thing, had the wrong information. Add to that hormonal problems that make gaining weight easy and losing it almost impossible and you have a recipe for obese heaven.

The thing is, I'm an impatient person and when I decide I want to lose weight, I want it all gone now - well OK, over night will do. Reality is, it's not going to happen that way. It took me 30 years to get this way, it's not going to take 30 minutes or even 30 days to get it off. Might take me 30 months though.

Along with that, I have habits to undo. I'm learning the physical changes required like making better food choices, exercise, etc. I'm also learning the psychological changes required. For years I ate my emotions, using food to stuff them down. I bought into the whole 'good girls don't get angry' malaky. Or upset, or horny, or anything! So, I need to learn to go to my pillow and punch the hell out of it instead of go to the fridge.

I also need to learn that it's a life journey. Changing my habits of a lifetime is not going to be as easy as set and forget. It's going to take practice. I'm going to have slip ups which are part of the learning experience. The thing is to not get hung up over those slip ups. As long as I'm on track 80 % of the time, the occasional slip up is not going to undo all the good I've done. And if I am going to slip up, at least do it intentionally and enjoy the hell out of it when I do.

It's a life journey. I can have that piece of cake, the trick is to not have it regularly, but only on special occasions. That's why I've decided to allow myself a slice of cake 3 times a year - my birthday, my partner's birthday and christmas. I won't try to negotiate with myself about it, I won't look for the least damaging option. I'll go for the one that takes my fancy, be it heavily sugar laden or not. See, for me, it's about the long haul. My success or failure doesn't happen because of this one food choice right now. It happens because of a string of food choices made one after the other. It would be nice to think I could go forever and never eat a 'naughty' food item again, but let's get real. Life isn't like that. As long as I keep to the plan for most of the time I'll get there. It may take a little longer, but so what? I've balanced that out with enjoyment and fun along the way.

So, don't see it as black or white. Don't beat yourself up because you had a second helping this once. Or because you had a dessert. Note you've done it, enjoy it and just move on.

[Blocked Image:
      http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wlDZtl5/weight.png]

Mini Goals....Reward
      109..........start (24/09/11)
      99............restaurant (19/11/11)
      89............new tops
      79............body treatment
      69............??
      59............??

Carbs feed carbs; protein & fat feed the body - me -
    • Re: It takes a life time

I agree with you. I will add that getting a handle on your eating begins first in your mind. You have to come to the place that the food that got you fat in the first place isn't worth it. It also helps to remember that food is only in your mouth a moment and then it is just a memory. Oh but the results of that moment :eek:

I say to myself when I am confronted with something that is very tempting. Its not worth it, you have had this and you know what it tastes like. I pretend its now the memory and I already ate it LOL

If its really bad I go create something that may not be the same thing I was craving but equally satisfying.

I can relate to what you have both written, Indigirl and Dox.

For me it is about a serious change in habits, but first knowing why the habits exist. I hope I am there now, only time and my resolve will tell.

I am not a dog owner, never have been. Our family has been talking recently about getting a dog. Discussing the commitment, responsibilities etc. much of that discussion has been around the dog's health, nutrition and exercise. In theory we know the dog would require the right balance of the right foods, water and plenty of exercise.

What a shame I haven't (until now) applied the same knowledge and commonsense to myself!

I have been on a L/C regime for over four years and for what it is worth I will pass on a few tips.

1. Hip to waist ratio by far the the best indication of progress. Females should aim for .8 or less and males .9 0r less, you will find that if you meet this ratio that your triglycerides will be low and your HDL HIGH. Formula widest point of your hips divided into your narrowest point of your waist.

2. Breaking the addiction of grains will take months before you find that the urge passes.

3. Great wraps can be made from linseed grounds with super low carbs to replace breads.

4. Avoid all man made oils and shortening they are deadly over time.

5. Avoid concentrated fruitcose it is everything.

Once you have attained these goals you will be amazed how well you will feel.
      and the amount of energy compared to your pre carb days and you will find it easy to avoid the no - no's. All the best in your endeavors.
      :)

IndiGirl wrote:

It takes a life time to get where I am. I didn't get to this shape because I ate one big mac once or because I had a second serve of dessert once. I got this way because I ate the wrong stuff all the time, didn't exercise, didn't drink water and when I did try to do the right thing, had the wrong information. Add to that hormonal problems that make gaining weight easy and losing it almost impossible and you have a recipe for obese heaven.

I could of written this myself.

I know that I have made all the wrong choices, consistently indulged in food that was good for my tastebuds and not much good for my health or weight.

I am ADDICTED to carbs, I found it very hard to get back on to LC eating, and find that each day of the last 5 weeks very hard, but I have gotten through. I will be reading this post again for sure!

Wow, I really loved that post.

Completely agree with everything you wrote there IndiGirl.

It does take a lifetime.

What really resonates with me is that we are a bit impatient with ourselves and expect results overnight, I think that's been a major stumbling block for me as well.

I'm still searching for something or some way to stop myself from falling off the wagon each time I start a new eating plan...it all comes down to keeping yourself motivated and remaining goal focussed.

I wish I only had the will power!
      Starting over!

Using mini goals:

1st Goal: 140.0 kg

[Blocked Image: http://swlf.lilyslim.com/N9CDp11.png]

"A diet is the penalty we pay for exceeding the feed limit".

"If hunger is not the problem, then eating is NOT the solution".

Been looking through all the posts and threads (still not sure how to follow through with this!) looking for something to cheer me up. Have just finished my 3rd week and my weight hasn't moved from the 3 kilo loss l had in the beginning after the 3-day protein only start! This always seems to happen to me and so l get depressed and give up. :mad:
      l have got a dead thyroid and muscle and bone problems which do make it harder, but not impossible. And yes, l've allowed this weight to creep up over the last 15 years, so don't know why l always expect quick results. lt's definately a 'mental' hassle with me. How do you just keep plugging away when you're not seeing any results? Is anyone else having these sort of problems? l look through the 'tickers', etc. and everyone seems to lose something on a weekly basis even if it's just a small amount.
      I'm sure l'm following BT correctly--bought the whole 'shebang'---following the recipes from the book and having protein bars in between (if that's the only thing available) Any ideas to keep me motivated?:confused::(

Patience wrote:

Been looking through all the posts and threads (still not sure how to follow through with this!) looking for something to cheer me up. Have just finished my 3rd week and my weight hasn't moved from the 3 kilo loss l had in the beginning after the 3-day protein only start! This always seems to happen to me and so l get depressed and give up. :mad:
      l have got a dead thyroid and muscle and bone problems which do make it harder, but not impossible. And yes, l've allowed this weight to creep up over the last 15 years, so don't know why l always expect quick results. lt's definately a 'mental' hassle with me. How do you just keep plugging away when you're not seeing any results? Is anyone else having these sort of problems? l look through the 'tickers', etc. and everyone seems to lose something on a weekly basis even if it's just a small amount.
      ::(

Hi , I'm a slow looser too so don't dispare your not the only one. My weight seems to hold on for weeks then suddenly It will drop . Keep going it will happen. Try staying off the scales . I use a pair of jeans I haven't been able to get into for years. At first I couldnt get them past my thighs now I can get them up but not done up ! Yet the scales show very little change . Don't give up it will happen :)