Bloody dieticians

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Bloody dieticians

I had to go to a class today to learn about the new medication that I'm starting on Thursday. Included in the class was a half hour with an exercise physiologist, and half and hour with a dietician, and an hour with the diabetes educator nurse. The first hour and a half went fine, until the time spent with the dietician. Grrr.

I told her that I had cut out grains (which I think is a healthy decision for everyone not just diabetics).

She informed me in front of the group, that I should not be cutting out any food groups, regardless of the fact that 1. they make me binge and 2. they push my blood sugars through the roof. Then she said that she isn't there to encourage us to lose weight, pretty much saying we can be healthy and fat! OMG!

I didn't listen to her for the rest of the session. She would have been horrified if I'd told her I dont eat any starches, or fruit either. (Binging remember). Who needs the cravings I get from them anyway.
      Kath

Current weight 4/17 84.9 kg
      Goal weight 65 kg

Other goals: Reversal of my diabetes
    • Re: Bloody dieticians

You should've said, " funny, I thought this was for diabetics? why would I continue eating grains when they push my blood sugars through the roof and subsequently cause me to binge! I can't see them helping to keep my diabetes in control, can you?"
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

I often wonder where these people get their degrees and how out dated the course literature is! I had to see a dietician a few years ago and the word rabid comes to mind of her reaction when I told her that sugar seems to exacerbate my IBS. There was apparently no way that sugar would do that and I had no idea what I was talking about. Needless to say I never went back.
      Good luck kath. :)
      Kim

In my opinion, regardless of whether a dietician who has no idea of my case history thinks I'm correct or not, the goal is to get blood sugar levels to normal. It makes me want to throw Dr Bernstiens book at them...lol.
      Kath

Goal weight 65 kg

Eating whole grains won't affect blood sugar - if you are at a balanced weight and have no health problems to begin with. The problem with all these so called healthy eating plans is they are made for people who don't need them! As long as you don't have problems they will work, it's when something is out of whack or not working that you need to find a way to address the problem and they have no answer for that.

Just seems to make really crazy sense to me, if it's all balanced do nothing. If you are having low blood sugar issues all the time, find ways to increase your whole grains to help balance it out. If you have excessive sugars, then perhaps you should cut them back?? No? Too easy?

[Blocked Image:
      http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wlDZtl5/weight.png]

Mini Goals....Reward
      109..........start (24/09/11)
      99............restaurant (19/11/11)
      89............new tops
      79............body treatment
      69............??
      59............??

Carbs feed carbs; protein & fat feed the body - me -

Whole grains are usually harder to tolerate and digest then processed grains, some kids with food intolerances will go absolutely feral on them.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

I do remember saying now: "Oh, but I have much better control of my blood sugars now not eating grains". Obviously that doesn't matter.

But also remember that these people although working in hospitals, are subsidised by the big pharmacuticals. One of the handouts that she gave us had one of the diabetes companies name all over it.
      Kath

Goal weight 65 kg

I agree Kath. The "diet" sheet I was given contained nearly all brand name foods and no real fresh foods! I remember thinking she wanted me to eat cardboard it had about the same nutritional qualities. And apparently this was "tailored" to my needs.:eek:
      Kim

I swear my Dr nearly swallowed his stethescope when I told him I point blank refuse to see the dietician he has said I need. Because she will only say I'm doing all the wrong things with my diet. Disregarding the fact that while on her diet, I gained weight!!. On mine, I feel amazing and I've managed to shed just a smidge under 10kgs. while low carbing.

My diabetes educator asked me if I got anything out of the diabetes class and I point blank said no, and she said "I didn't think you would". She went on to say that she believes that we eat far too many carbs and that most doctors are of the same opinion.

I told her how I wanted to throw Dr Berstiens book at the dietician, and she laughed and said that she has read it.

She asked me if I wanted to see another dietician and I said that unless she has one who agrees with low carb, definately not.
      Kath

Goal weight 65 kg

I like this feisty Kath ;)

[Blocked Image:

Mini Goals....Reward
      89............new tops
      69............??
      59............??

Through a personal trainer I am subscribed to a nutrition page on Facebook.

Last week they put up a link, "Good Carbs vs Bad Carbs" and asked the question, what does everyone think about Carbs?" Well the 1st 3 responses were all clearly from low carbers including me, Followed by a couple of dietician post about your brain needs carbs and you need the phyto nutrients from fruit & veg... within 2 hours and before I could get back on and say "who says we aren't having fruit & veg" the thread had been deleted.:rolleyes:

I think there are a few dieticians who havn't been enlightened, and a lot who have stuck their heads firmly in the sand.

It's funny, once you knock out grains and potatoes you're really only left with good old green veg for fillers anyway, causing you to eat more veg then before!

The problem is a lot of people think carbs are just bread, pasta, potato, etc. so the dietitions talk about carbs only in that context then try to "teach" everyone about "good carbs". They need to start of by explaining what they mean by carbs. stoopid dieticians.

[Blocked Image:

Mini Goals....Reward
      89............new tops
      69............??
      59............??

I really don't understand these so called "profesionals" who will shoot you down in flames for doing something that is obviously working for YOU!!!:mad:
      My old doctor (since found a much better one) told me that I should be taking blood pressure tablets for the rest of my life as they are fine and that I should also take cholesterol lowering drugs to get that down. She wrote out a script which I did not fill as I did my research and discovered that the cholesterol drug would cause my BP to rise so I would need stronger BP meds which would also cause my cholesterol to rise so I would need stronger cholesterol drugs which would raise my BP even more!! Sorry I was NOT getting on that roundabout;)
      I found policonasol and got my cholesterol down from 7.2 to 3.1 in 1 month, I bounced into her office very proud of myself and she looked me in the eye and told me that policonasol does NOT work!! Excuse me!! I had the results in front of me!
      Some people are in the wrong job!!!
      You stick to what you know works for YOU!

I too went to the Health Centre to get my Educator and dietician lessons some 3 years ago. During the time I followed their diet I did not lose weight nor did I get my BGLs to acceptable levels, then I was put on medication. I found Atkins then Bernstein and within 5 months had lost weight and took myself off all medication. I am still unmedicated and my A1c was 5.2 last test. Lipitor caused me a lot of grief and it was much later I worked out what had caused my muscle pain.
      I haven't had grains for so many years now, my pancreas just cannot handle it. I wanted to go back to the clinic one day and just tell them that their advice was WRONG, WRONG for me!
      Fearless in the face of dietary Fat. Increased fat, dropped carbs to very low low and reached target weight and more! Low carber for (my) Life

Gilly wrote:

I really don't understand these so called "profesionals" who will shoot you down in flames for doing something that is obviously working for YOU!!!:mad:
      My old doctor (since found a much better one) told me that I should be taking blood pressure tablets for the rest of my life as they are fine and that I should also take cholesterol lowering drugs to get that down. She wrote out a script which I did not fill as I did my research and discovered that the cholesterol drug would cause my BP to rise so I would need stronger BP meds which would also cause my cholesterol to rise so I would need stronger cholesterol drugs which would raise my BP even more!! Sorry I was NOT getting on that roundabout;)
      I found policonasol and got my cholesterol down from 7.2 to 3.1 in 1 month, I bounced into her office very proud of myself and she looked me in the eye and told me that policonasol does NOT work!! Excuse me!! I had the results in front of me!
      Some people are in the wrong job!!!
      You stick to what you know works for YOU!

I just posted about how I was diagnosed today and everything you have written here is what they are suggesting for me ..drugs for everythign ..metformin..crestor for cholestrol..perindopril for blood pressure..asprin for hhmm im not sure exactly.. if you could go back would have bothered with the neds or just gone with diet alone?