Alcohol and Low Carb Eating

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Alcohol and Low Carb Eating

Hi everyone.

Can you drink on low carb diets and still lose weight? I am sure there are many people out there who wish this to be true haha. I'm not talking about a glass of wine each night. I'm sure this may make me look like a raging alcoholic but I like to to have nearly a bottle of wine on a friday night. Nothing during the week. Now I know this is not particularly healthy and yes I should eliminate alcohol altogether when I'm trying to lose weight but realistically I don't think that's going to happen.

Anyone else have a magic solution? :o
    • Re: Alcohol and Low Carb Eating

Just bare in mind that your body will automatically switch from burning fat to burning alcohol until it's all out of your system. Another issue is that people tend to snack and go off plan when under the influence!
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

Sure you can.... :) I started on a "shakes" plan, then switched to LC after I'd lost 18kg. During this time, I wasn't supposed to drink, I stuck to that for the first week but then had maybe 3 or 4 glasses of red a week. When I went on LC I stopped "counting" drinks and just drank as usual. Like you, not to excess, but can sip a bottle of red over a week no prob. I also love margaritas, but I never add sugar or drink the pre-mixes (never have anyway, love 'em sour!). I also changed from Gin & Tonic to Scotch & Soda to cut down on the sugar. I still lost another 6kg in about 3 months and have maintained my current weight for about a year now........
      I'm not saying it won't affect your loss at all, I'm sure it slows it down, but to me it was worth risking a little slower loss to be able to still have a drink whenever I wanted....... Choose wisely (no pre-mixes, girly drinks or high sugar spirits) and you should be fine. Your diet shouldn't be a nightmare !

Hehehe..... nothing wrong with a bottle of wine on a Friday night! That's only 4 glasses....3 if you have big glasses ;)
      The way I look at it is, it's not "A" diet, it's "YOUR" diet....do what makes you happy and works for you, no rules, just guides.
      Cheers, I'm off to the pub :D :D :D

I have a 3oz / 75ml glass of white wine (105 Kj/25 calories) each night with dinner, and occasionally a second glass. As Sherrie said, just realise your body will utilise the alcohol first and if you have eaten more calories than you can use in a meal with wine some of it will be stored as fat.
      Odille -
      following Primal Lifestyle

Low fat is so last century!

Hi everyone, trust me to come back into the fold on the subject of drinking :rolleyes: Haven't posted in months but here I am to add my two cents worth.

I'm a wine drinker, started out on reds but changed to white when I read that white is not an aperitif (meaning it doesn't make you hungry). On holidays last year I was introduced to the joys of the Margarita ;)

Knowing that the pre-mix stuff and even a true Margarita is very sugary, I have developed my own which is doing very nicely on a Friday night.

a nip of Tequila (30mls)
      a squeeze of lemon or lime juice (just a squeeze, no more that about a tablespoon)
      Fill the glass with Waterfords Diet Lemon, Lime Orange Mineral Water (I get it from Woolies)

The only carbs come from the juice and the tequila and diet mineral water are carb free. Of course the alcohol with stop your body from burning fat but a couple of these (or 3 or 4 :D) go down a treat and my body is only dealing with the alcohol and not carbs as well.

Chin Chin
      Kapay :)

LCME Low GI diet allows 500ml of wine per night on 'maintenance'.

I guess if you stick rigidly to all other aspects of the diet then that amount would probably slow down weight loss but should still occur.

Would no doubt depend on what you were doing as well to burn off the excess 'fuel' in the wine, I guess.

Barry1956 wrote:

LCME Low GI diet allows 500ml of wine per night on 'maintenance'.

I guess if you stick rigidly to all other aspects of the diet then that amount would probably slow down weight loss but should still occur.

Would no doubt depend on what you were doing as well to burn off the excess 'fuel' in the wine, I guess.

500ml! That seems a lot, I'd be tiddly on that. When I have a glass with dinner it is a little 75ml one.
      Odille -
      following Primal Lifestyle

Low fat is so last century!

Seems like a lot of alcohol on a daily basis. I just did a search on food standards and 500ml of red wine is about 340 calories, 0 carbs. A dry white is virtually the same but contains roughly 1.5g carbs but 500ml of sweet white (2.5% sugars) has 13g of carbs.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

hiya.. i know for me.. It didnt make a difference,I continued to loose weight with wine, I shared a bottle, a couple of times a week and I didnit gain any weight back untill I started adding potato and pasta back in occaisionally.. Ive stopped the potato and pasta again.. but i refuse to give up on the wine.. lol

That is really poor advice, alcohol should never be used to enhance weight loss particularly when you're on a diet that is already a diuretic in itself.

Hi All, New here and thought I'd make my start with a reply to this thread.:)
      I enjoy a bourbon or 3 and I'm on a LC eating plan. I have lost 17kg so far and I still get to enjoy a drink or two. I've found the switch from beer to bourbon easy for me but the spirit must with a soft drink without sugar (ie Pepsi max and diet cokes). I find it a way to enjoy something in life and I still manage to lose about 1kg a week. (4 to go until my goal the maintenance it is :cool: )
      Don't sweat the small stuff...It's all about moderation and some good ole fashioned discipline. If you over indulge every now and then, work a bit harder on the exercise front the next day and keep to the LC plan......
      By the way,

30mls of Bourbon has

Calories

Fat
      0g

Carbs
      0g

Protein
      0g

Enjoy life.... I do!!:D

High I will just add my view's on alcohol which by the way I am currently enjoying two glasses of wine.I have been on a low carb life style for five years and find keeping a balanced weight and health is now very easy. This morning I had two eggs two rashers of bacon, slice of egg plant, tomato, capsicum, around 10.00am since then one coffee & water now two glasses of wine. my blood sugar is 5.3. I have found alcohol in moderation in wine does not have a bearing on your blood sugars so enjoy.