calorie question

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• calorie question

I've been off and on Atkin's for years both as weight loss, maintainence, and that I feel sooo much better when I eat low-carb.
      We are doing a fitness challenge at work (and I want to win!!) So I've added exercise 4-5 days a week to my routine to try to build muscle with the ultimate goal of decreasing my body fat percent from 36% to 25%.
      I've been tracking my food and exercise on SparkPeople and I'm really interested in what I"m seeing:
      I'm eating 3 times a day whether I'm hungry or not, and eating to satiation - not cutting back intentionally at meals. I'm eating snacks when hungry, but I'm not taking in very many calories each day: 900-1400 usually, with exercise output at 400-500 kcal 4-5x/wk. and my weight loss has plateaued after 5-7 lbs, whereas usually I drop at least 10-12 before the first plateau.
      I have ketosticks, and they are ALWAYS pale... it's exciting if I can get up to 7 on them, and usually I'm about 3-5 (between none and the first color.... light ketosis) even when Im loosing weight steadily. I just dont' go deep into ketosis.

My concerns are this:
      1) do I need to take in extra protein in order to build muscle?
      2) do calroies matter if you are eating when you are hungry, at least two times a day (usually three, but I'm a working mom...)
      3) I know muscle weighs more than fat, but the exercise I am doing is aerobic (dancing, walking, zumba today, stair climbing)... could it be that I'm building muscle at the same rate and therefor not loosing the pounds, or could it be that the lack of calories and the increased expenditure has stalled the weight-loss becasue the body is feeling 'starved'

Love some imput -
      Oh, and to put perspecive on it: I am six feet tall, 50 lbs overweight so there is LOTS of fat to burn as fuel!
    • Re: calorie question

Yeah I don't think you're eating enough, especially being 6ft and if you're male? then this is even more so. I am assuming you're female by your chosen forms of exercise though there's not many 6ft women!
      Cardio is not the greatest for putting on muscle especially if you're not eating much, weights is much better for building muscle.

Ketones in urine are just excess ketones, e.g. ketones that are not used by the body and wasted through urine. Once your body adapts to ketosis which is only meant to take around 4 weeks or so your body becomes more efficient at ketones and there is less to no more wastage of ketones through the urine.

The best way to tell if you're body composition is changing despite no change in weight is to measure, the way clothes fit will also be a good guide.

But regardless, you really need to eat more.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

And Atkins & low carb are not about calories either - how many gms of protein/fat/carbs are in your daily it. Mine generally runs at P 60-90g, fat 40-60g, carbs <30 (but always <50).

You need a lot of protein to fuel muscle building, and it is hard to lose weight & build muscle at the same time - you have to go for on or the other.

Post a typical day's food for specific advice.
      Odille -
      following Primal Lifestyle

Low fat is so last century!

Typical breakfast is one egg, a cup of coffee with a couple TBSP of half-half in it. I could increase this to two eggs, though I'm quite satisfied with just the one, and don't feel hungry when I wake up, so I'm just eating because 'I have to'.

Lunch often is a couple pieces of fried chicken without the skin or breadding (I can get an 8-pc where I work for $4, and it lasts me all week) Sometimes, if I think ahead, I'll put some lettuce with it - a cup or two, or leftover salad from last-nights dinner. usually no dressing, or something homemade like olive-oil, lemon-juice and herbs sprinkled on top. Other lunches has been picking the rabbit-meat off the bone and eating cheese with is, since Rabbit is so low-fat (and high protein!). On occasion I have nibbled a couple mini-carrots with the rabbit, LOL!

Dinner is meat and vegetable: a piece of pork and sauerkraut, smoked turkey and salad, smoked rabbit and sauteed summer squash, etc. One night we did have black-bean soup, which I know is Carby, so I only had a little.... one of the few times I intentionally cut back. I had cheese with it, to increase fat and calories, and because dairy and beans make a complete protein. Last night was a rare but total disaster with just eating a regular hot-dog and a foot-long hot dog! No bun, no veggie. We roasted them around the fire-pit since winter is just ending here, and it was just a family night when you throw all the nutritional rules out the door!

Nutritional breakdown at the end of the day looks like this:
      1/20 1/21 1/22 1/23 1/24 1/25 1/26 Calories: 903 1,488 1,813 949 1,419 1,184 1,269
      Fat: 53 91 152 27 107 71 49
      Protein: 92 58 124 129 86 126 48
      Carbs: 8 42 32 23 66 13 7

(The day I had 66 carbs was one potato pancake- 33 carbs- that I simply couldn't resist! I went and wii danced for a half hour after that to burn it up quickly), LOL~!

Analog6 wrote:

And Atkins & low carb are not about calories either - how many gms of protein/fat/carbs are in your daily it. Mine generally runs at P 60-90g, fat 40-60g, carbs <30 (but always <50).

You need a lot of protein to fuel muscle building, and it is hard to lose weight & build muscle at the same time - you have to go for on or the other.

Post a typical day's food for specific advice.

Considering 1500 calories will have both fat and protein at around the 100g mark your calories would be low also and not suitable for an active 6ft woman.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Jarvis you need to stop eating mostly lean meats like rabbit and turkey, if you change to fattier meats this will help with calories.

Thanks for the replies - It sounds like I DO need to increase the meat-intake, and perhaps some cheese, too. Sounds like it's time for Tuna and Mayo for lunch... I haven't been INTENTIONALLY eating lean meat, it just happens to be what's on the menu (we raise rabbits, so we eat that a couple times a month) I'll look into adding even more fat on the nights we have rabbit.

I've never tracked my food before like this, so it really was a surprize. I haven't changed anything from my past except for adding the exercise, but that has sure changed my body chemistry/reaction to food! I think it has suppressed my appetite even more, that's the only reason I can think that I wouldn't be hungry.

Analog: I know what you are saying about 'building muscle' and loosing weight, I think I didn't express myself well: the goal is to reduce the overall fat/muscle ratio so I am trying to burn off the fat and tone up the muscles. Considering I have done NO exercise in over a year and a half, and had a baby 11 months ago, I am thinking any exercise I do will tone muscles! My aeorbic stuff is 30 min. along the lines of x-country ski, 4 mph walk x 2 miles, speed-bag and jump-rope intervals, elliptical, climb 61 flights of stairs, - my goal is to not do the same activity twice in the whole 8 week challenge!
      Once I get this calorie thing settled and I start dropping the pounds again, I will add light resisitance such as baby-press ups, baby-leg-extensions, baby sit ups.... you see a trend there? LOL!~
      So, perhaps 'toning' is a better term?

Thanks again for the replies. I'll try increasing the fat I eat and see if I loose weight...
      Add that statement to things I NEVER thought I'd hear myself say in my life!