Curious about BodyTrim

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Curious about BodyTrim

I've been doing Atkins diet/maintanence and falling-off the wagon for many years now. I like how I feel on it (no pms, controlled depression, no hypoglycemia, no comupsive eating, easy food).

Recently though, it is not working for me, and I'm thinking I would like to try something similar (high protein, low carb) and came across some posts mentioning BodyTrim program.
      I can not afford to buy it, and I am very familiar with carb-counts, low carb, etc.

I can get through three days of protein only pretty easily.
      I like that I can have oatmeal in the morning (our typical breakfast here is oatmeal for the kids and an egg for me, and I like that I'll be eating more)

My question comes in the rules for the second phase of: salads, 'low carbs vegetables, and high protein'. Can someone give me the info on what is recommended?

Also, are there recommendations for the amount of fat you consume? Higher fat is better for me for satiation.

Also, I understand the 30 min. walking is essential every day. I like that too... I LOVE to walk!!
    • Re: Curious about BodyTrim

Hi,
      If you check out the thread "body trim in a nutshell" it explains the programme well.
      Just curious but why do you prefer the high fat diet?
      Body trim is not high fat . But personally I can not see how eating a Low carb, high fat diet can be good for you in the long term unless your only eating good fats. Saturated and Trans fats still cause heart disease and blockages in your arteries. Being thin does not exclude you from heart disease and cholesterol. I think its more important to adopt healthy habits and be healthy than thin.
      I have lost 11kg on Body Trim. (with the occasional slip up. I'm no angel) I feel great. I have had my cholesterol checked and its perfect. I feel good and my skin has even cleared up.
      I do include good fats such as avocado and I eat allot of fish and tinned salmon. (avocado is not supposed to be used until maintaince but I have it in my salad everyday.)
      Another option for Low carb is the dukan diet. I am reading this book at the moment, its really interesting but also is low fat.

Saturated fats are the most stable fats out there Bec, you might want to read some of the articles in the Important Low Carb Articles thread.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

Thanks - I did not see a thread for bodyTrim, what section is it in, or could you post a link here to it?

High-fat diet means unrestricted fat, as compared to something like weight-watchers and other typical 'cardiac' low-fat diets. If the fat is restricted I am CONSTANTLY hungry, never satiated, and completely obsessed with food and feeling miserable.
      also, Carbs, and wheat in particular, make me bloated and feel really yucky, and 'whole grains' are often a significant part of the low-fat diets.

"High fat' does not mean 'saturated fats or trans fats'. It means you eat the meat and the cheese and bacon, but you sautee in olive-oil/grapeseed oil, use healthy oil spreads, etc. You exercise, and yes, you check your cholesterol because 1/3 of the people increase blood cholesterol levels on the Atkins diet, 1/3 remain the same, and 1/3 actually DECREASE their cholesterol levels. You dont' know until you try it which group you're in.

And I certainly don't aim to be 'thin'; I'm looking at not-obese/overweight and getting to the upper end of the 'normal'/recommended weight range for my body type.

I react the same to carbs. There is nothing worse than the bloating.
      I also agree on the Weight watches type thing. Nearly everything labelled low fat has double the sugar. I do not limit my fat intake on body Trim but I do choose to cut the fat off my bacon, chops, milk instead of cream.

I have read some of the articles suggested however there are just as many articles with my point of view on the subject. I think I will just have to disagree with you on this one. Although you are more read on the subject than me. I don't mean to sound ignorant.

I do understand the reasoning behind some of the hunter gather theories. However there are so many variables. Did the African Tribe that ate so much saturated fat sit on their butts in front of computers everyday. I may have misunderstood but it also was not all Saturated fats they recommended eating, for eg coconut oil and certain types of beef,. To generalise Saturated Fat is ok is misleading.

I don't subscribe to hunter gather theories myself in that their aim was to gain weight not lose it. It's the research that has me questioning as well as the stability of the fats themselves. As for cholesterol in women again the research is very questionable. I would be more inclined to worry about my thyroid causing high cholesterol.

Having said that I don't read as much about it now as I am more interested in research in another area ME/CFS for obvious reasons but there's been many people here on Atkins over the years whose cholesterol levels and HDL improved a lot as well as their trigs go right down, this is the trend I see not the opposite.

Perhaps we should have a thread or something like a database dedicated to peoples results in that area over the coming years.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

Paleo & primal are not about losing weight but about getting healthy by eating what we evolved on. IF you are very overweight, like me, the losses just come naturally as you cut all grains from your diet.

Saturated fats are not the bad guys we have been led to believe, an eating the ones that com naturally as part of the food will never be harmful IMHO. I have not yet gone over like som primal people to cooking in lard and tallow though!

And as dietary intake has been pretty well exonerated, from what I see in my research an readings, in raising blood cholesterol, why bother to cut every bit of sat fat from your food intake?

I've always thought that eating seasonally - according to what would grow in your area - is a good idea - fruits in warmer months, root vegetables and heavier foods in the colder months .
      Odille -
      following Primal Lifestyle

Low fat is so last century!

Sherrie wrote:

I don't subscribe to hunter gather theories myself in that their aim was to gain weight not lose it. It's the research that has me questioning as well as the stability of the fats themselves. As for cholesterol in women again the research is very questionable. I would be more inclined to worry about my thyroid causing high cholesterol.

Having said that I don't read as much about it now as I am more interested in research in another area ME/CFS for obvious reasons but there's been many people here on Atkins over the years whose cholesterol levels and HDL improved a lot as well as their trigs go right down, this is the trend I see not the opposite.

Perhaps we should have a thread or something like a database dedicated to peoples results in that area over the coming years.

Sherrie, I love the idea about having a thread/database around peoples cholesterol, HDL, trigs results :) Add blood-pressure as well, and bloodsugars/HbA1c for diabetics.
      Unfortunately, I didn't get any blood taken before I started low carb living, but after 8 months with low carbs high fat-intake my doctor was impressed with my HDL. It was 1.7, which is in the high normal. (For HDL higher is better) Everything else was unremarkable