Protein and menstruation

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Protein and menstruation

Sorry for the possibly TMI post ...

but, does anyone else find themselves getting nauseous eating protein when they're menstruating? Or is it just me?

I don't have trouble at any other time of month, I love my meat, but in the first couple of days, when flow is just getting started, I find it really hard, and I was wondering if anyone might know of some hormonal link involved.

morte
    • Re: Protein and menstration

Analog6 wrote:

It's one of those listen to your body situations. If you can plan ahead so you have alternate meals prepared for those days - salads or something palatable, then you will cope just fine.

Yeah, probably. Though, I'm doing Bodytrim currently, so I need to eat protein if I want to stick to plan. I guess I'll listen to my body, and see what it'll stomach, and plan for that. Though planning would be much easier if I were regular :)

Thanks for the thought.

morte

I guess I'll just persevere. At least it's only a couple of days a month that it's an issue. I got around the meat nausea yesterday morning by having a protein shake with a raw egg added, which was palatable. This morning, I ate bacon and mushrooms just fine, then thoroughly enjoyed a banana ... maybe I'm mineral deficient :)

Hi Morte,
      Just saw this post and was planning on asking a similar question this morning. Funny after my pity post the other day wham TOM arrived. First time I six months ! Also happened to be the day I started LC ( yesterday ) . Today I find I'm feeling all shakey again and needing carbs . Protein is not cutting it . Decided to make a parsley and half onion omelette only to want to throw it up after. I'm not sure if it's the TOM or the PO .

Wish my body would grow up and behave :p

Hi Robyn ... welcome to the low carb lifestyle, and sorry to hear you're having a hard time with the TOM and all too.

I'm dreading my next onslaught, as I really did feel ill eating meat protein (even eggs) for the first 36-48 hours. Right now I'm looking for all the non-meat protein foods I can arrange to tide me over that period. I think I'm going to try some protein shake, maybe some ricotta cheesecake or hummus or SOMETHING :)

Hang in there, it will pass, so will the queasiness from carb detox. It's worth it.