Lasagne

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Lately I have seen so many recipes for pasta on the low carb blogs that I follow, and today I decided it was time to try it out. I was a bit sceptical before I started and found it a bit hard to believe that a ‘’pasta’’ based on eggs, cream-cheese and psyllium-husk could actually taste like the real thing. But it did! At least when it was combined with loads of yummy pasta-sauce and cheese. Previously I have been using zucchini in stead of pasta sheets. That tastes quite alright as well, but this recipe here really had that lasagne-feel that I had been missing.

Pasta:

3 eggs
      100 g (softened) Philadelphia cheese
      50 ml (15 grams) psyllium husk

Beat eggs and Philadelphia cheese. Add psyllium husk. Let stand to thicken for around ten minutes. Cover a baking tray with baking paper. Place the pasta mass onto the baking paper, and place another baking paper on top of it. Use a rolling pin to spread the mass into quite a thin layer. Then bake on 150 degrees C for 10 minutes, with the baking-paper still on top. Then remove the top baking paper and part into little squares resembling lasagne sheets. Let it cool down.

Sauce:

500 g minced meat
      1 onion
      1 garlic clove
      1 jar of tomato paste
      1 1∕2 jar of cottage cheese
      Spices (I used salt, Trocomare, pepper and oregano)
      Grated cheese

Brown the mince and add garlic, onion, tomato paste and spices. Let simmer for a few minutes. Place half the mince into an oven safe tray. Then add a layer of lasagne sheets followed by a layer of cottage cheese. Now comes a second layer of minced meat, then lasagne sheets and cottage cheese. Finish with a layer of sprinkled cheese and bake on 200 degrees C for 30 minutes. Serve with a salad.

There are some photos on my blog:
      aussie-lowcarb-living.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/lasagne.html
    • Hi arcticgirl

I've been after a lasagne sheet substitute for some time and found yours and thought that I'd give it a try.

Our oven runs a little hot and it came out stuck to both sides of paper that meant it pulled apart when trying to remove the paper.

Any suggestions? Does it have to be cooked between sheets of paper?
    • Oh no, how annoying... maybe you can try and grease the baking paper first? Both sides of it? Buy a different brand of baking paper? Did you perhaps not let it stand to thicken enough before you spread it out? Maybe leave it for 15 minutes instead, as that will give the psyllium husk a lot of time to thicken.
      I'm guessing it has to be cooked between sheets of papers, otherwise it would be hard to spread it thinly enough using a rolling pin.
      Perhaps someone else has some other suggestions?