What sugar substitutes are ok to use???

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• What sugar substitutes are ok to use???

Hi All....I am new to the forum here and have been on the Atkins induction for almost 5 weeks now.
      I have had reasonable success but with a few stalls.
      Firstly I had a stall when I drank Sugar free red bull as I didn't know anything about the sugar alcohol (red bull contained pollyol something or other), and secondly I had another big stall when I tried to introduce sugar free lollies. (they had Maltitol)
      I am so frightened about the sugar alcohols as I know that they stall me badly, so I am scared to even try artificial sweetners.
      Coke Zero doesn't affect me but I don't like the aftertaste so much.
      I had bought Natvia as it only has 5grams of carbs per 100 grams serving and no sugar, but then I read that one of the ingredients is Erythritol.
      Can someone please advise me on the best and most natural tasting artificial sweetner that would be ok for someone that is overly sensitive to sugar alcohols??
      Any advice appreciated :)
    • Re: What sugar substitutes are ok to use???

Welcome Steveelea :)

Erythritol will be the least likely of all the sugar alcohols to cause digestive issues, it's also much lower in both carbs and calories then the other sugar alcohols. If it just contains erythritol and stevia you probably won't have issues though some stevia can cause very mild nausea. If it contains inulin then bacteria in the gut will convert it to fructans/fructose which may cause issues if sensitive. Give it a try and see :)
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

Thanks so much for your reply Sherrie.
      I a just so nervous as I keep getting kicked out of ketosis and am learning the hard way and although I dont gain weight, it stalls me and I am trying my best to lose as much weight as I can....I have a long way to go still to lose another 40 kilos (40 down 40 to go) so I am halfway there. I only started Atkins after losing the first 40 as I stalled on just eating healthy foods......and Atkins seems to have kick started me again and I want it to keep humming along without the stalls :)
      Thanks again, I will give it a go and let you know how it works out.
      Take care

Let us know how you go with it :)

When I did Atkins years ago I used splenda which didn't cause any issues but it is an artificial sweetener so it all depends on how you feel about them. I don't use splenda anymore because it's artificial, I use erythritol and stevia :)

Keep in mind the closer to goal you get the more stalls that will happen, I found mine were always about hormones.

Good luck!
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

I have major issues with my hormones too but thats another long story LOL
      The more weight I lose the worse they get :confused: I know that its supposed to be the opposite but I am hoping that the steady diet of low carb will help them to settle down too. I think that the bloating can stall me too. Its all trial and error I know.
      Yes I much prefer the natural sweetners for health and taste and dont have that many of them anyway, but when I see all these lovely induction friendly recipies I want to try them but I am scared of the reaction my body will have.
      I havent had a coffee in 5 weeks so I might try one with my sweetner on the weekend and see how I go....thanks again all the advice really helps :D

If you're desperate for a sugar free soda, try Zevia brand. I get them at a local health food shop. They use Erythritol and Stevia as their sweeteners, and natural flavours. I've fallen in love with the black cherry flavour :)

Just my 2 cents worth Steve - I believe (& research I have read seems to support it) that ANY artificial sweetener, in people who suffer metabolic disorder - which would be most of us here - triggers an almost identical reaction in your body to real sugar. I your pancreas releases insulin, you still have spiking and the attendant urges to eat sweet stuff etc. IMHO the only way to really succeed in not only losing weight but re-educating your system is to give up sweeteners totally.

I know some folk here (& on my other forums LOL) won't agree but you did ask the question.

I drink plain sparkling minral water or soda water, if you want flavour you could add a squeeze of juice. For sweetener in coffee (only sometimes in my bedtime decaff) I have a tiny bit of honey and just count the carbs.
      Odille -
      following Primal Lifestyle

Low fat is so last century!

Thanks for the advice Analog6
      I dont want to have much of the sweetner just a little....I havent had a coffee in 5 weeks and am absolutely HANGING for one LOL :p
      I will give the natvia a go tomorrow or Saturday and will attempt to use cream and water to make milk in the frother....its so not fair we have a fantastic coffee machine with coffee pods and I cant even use it :(
      Like you said Sherrie you can only try to see how it goes.
      Leanne

Once you get into the swing of things you can experiment and see if say a morning coffee with milk will effect you.
      I do two doubleshots with my coffee just so that I fill my mug up mostly with water then top with some frothed milk :)

I have a lovely pod coffee machine too ... and thoroughly enjoy the quality coffee it produces.

But then, I never was a latte/cappuccino type ... I enjoy a double macchiato ... which is pretty much a double shot of espresso, with a 'dollop' of milk and a teaspoon full of foam on the top. At home, I just add a dollop of cream instead.

Hmmmm ..... delicious :)

Try experimenting with different ways to enjoy your coffee, I'm sure you'll find something you like.

Morte I am going to have to try that....not sure if I can do the black but I think I could get used to a dollop of cream...I wonder if I could put cream and water in my milk frother and use that in my coffee????? Hmmmm might give that a go :D
      Oh wow lea thats weird.....could be good if you dont want anymore children but scary for young people :eek:
      Mrlbgirl I think mine has stevia in it.
      Not too sure I have never heard of them agathocles sorry.
      On a side note I baked the lemon swirl cheesecake last night so I will soon find out how my sugar sub will affect me today.
      Being Good Friday we are all going to my Mum and Dads house and getting fish and chips....(all except me I am cooking my salmon and having greek salad with it) but so I dont feel deprived while everyone else is chowing down on all thise yummy foods I made the Lemon Swirl Cheescake and the lemon curd for the top......wow it looks so good I cant wait to eat it.
      I did change the base though. Not sure if I will eat the base or not but I got the Empower Almond Innocence and made the base out of that. More costly probably but easy as I just had to add butter and an egg to the mix.
      I know I am on induction and shouldnt have the almond mix most probably so I will leave the base but I will eat the cheescake. I did have leftover mix and made some mini muffins out of them but I left them in the oven for the same amount of time so they burnt a bit :( but the inside tasted heavenly!!!!!!!
      I didnt add as much sugar sub as the recipie called for as I just cant hack the aftertaste of any of the artificial sweetners, and the lemon curd is AMAZING but I get that aftertaste of the sweetner so next time I will add less of it. Is it true that if you mix the sweetners it has less of an after taste?????

Sherrie,

I just bought Nature's Goodness No-Cal zero calorie sweetner. Says on the packet it is 100% Erythritol. I panicked when I read on the label that the carbs are 100g per 100g :eek::eek:. Is that right? Is this just sugar? Have I bought the wrong packet?

I won't open it until I find out for sure. It was $7.99 for 250g.

Thanks for your help,

Alison :D

No it's perfectly fine, I use that (erythritol not that particular brand) plus stevia that I buy from the US

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sherrie: () ().