Lowcarbers for life

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Lowcarbers for life

Hi everyone :)

I was just thinking that there should be a thread where people who have sucessfully lost weight on various lowcarb-regimes - and maintained the weight loss - can share their stories and inspire newcomers. (Sherrie, apologies if this thread exists somewhere already)

I find there is a lot of focus on losing weight - but how about keeping it off when you are done? Do the members who are ''done'' and successful leave the forum, or are you still here now and again?

I would like to hear from people who have lost weight and maintained it for a year or more.

- Which WOL do you follow?
      - How many kgs did you lose?
      - What are your secrets to maintaining weight?
      - Is there anything you find challenging with low carb?

To start, here is my story:
      I follow LCHF, which stands for low carb high fat. I managed to break the yoyo-cycle because for the first time in my life, cravings completely stopped! My blood sugar became so stable, there simply wasn't the desire to snack anymore. After almost 1,5 years on LCHF I've lost 9 kg - and stabilized my weight for almost a year! I've lost weight thousands of time, but it is the very first time I've managed to maintain it for so long. And I know that my weight-problems are forever under control. I eat nutritionous whole-foods. I enjoy full fat cheeses such as brie, blue-cheese, feta. I have olives, full fat yoghurt. I enjoy delicious sauces with a stake and a massive salad. I enjoy a glass or two of red or white whine at the weekends, but always stays away from beer.

I endulge in 85 % chocolate now and then, and make delicious cakes and desserts with coconut flour, almond flour and natural sweeetener.

I eat 3 times per day and never think about food inbetween.

I never eat breads, pasta, rice or anything containing flour.
      But I don't feel deprived of anything, because there are so many other yummy things I can have.

I avoid ''low fat'' products at all cost. Why? When fat is removed from a product, sugar or starch is often added to make it taste more...

Now I'd like to hear YOUR success story!
    • Re: Lowcarbers for life

arcticgirl wrote:

Hi everyone :)

I was just thinking that there should be a thread where people who have sucessfully lost weight on various lowcarb-regimes - and maintained the weight loss - can share their stories and inspire newcomers. (Sherrie, apologies if this thread exists somewhere already)

I find there is a lot of focus on losing weight - but how about keeping it off when you are done? Do the members who are ''done'' and successful leave the forum, or are you still here now and again?

I would like to hear from people who have lost weight and maintained it for a year or more.

- Which WOL do you follow?
      - How many kgs did you lose?
      - What are your secrets to maintaining weight?
      - Is there anything you find challenging with low carb?

To start, here is my story:
      I follow LCHF, which stands for low carb high fat. I managed to break the yoyo-cycle because for the first time in my life, cravings completely stopped! My blood sugar became so stable, there simply wasn't the desire to snack anymore. After almost 1,5 years on LCHF I've lost 9 kg - and stabilized my weight for almost a year! I've lost weight thousands of time, but it is the very first time I've managed to maintain it for so long. And I know that my weight-problems are forever under control. I eat nutritionous whole-foods. I enjoy full fat cheeses such as brie, blue-cheese, feta. I have olives, full fat yoghurt. I enjoy delicious sauces with a stake and a massive salad. I enjoy a glass or two of red or white whine at the weekends, but always stays away from beer.

I endulge in 85 % chocolate now and then, and make delicious cakes and desserts with coconut flour, almond flour and natural sweeetener.

I eat 3 times per day and never think about food inbetween.

I never eat breads, pasta, rice or anything containing flour.
      But I don't feel deprived of anything, because there are so many other yummy things I can have.

I avoid ''low fat'' products at all cost. Why? When fat is removed from a product, sugar or starch is often added to make it taste more...

Now I'd like to hear YOUR success story!

I was looking for a 'maintenance thread' like this arcticgirl. I followed the Dukan Plan for about 2 years prior to finding this website. Found LCHF too 'rich' and only stayed with the program a few weeks. I am amazed how few carbs are allowed . I'm embarrassed to state my 50-80 grams. I note that low fat dairy is not listed much, which I really enjoy - cottage cheese, yoghurt and skim milk are my lifelong friends. Cheese and crackers are my weakness.
      I find I get hungry often, so will look into increasing fat content rather than carbs. I'm happy that you are finding maintenance easy on a LCHF regime.
      This may be surprising, but it's the first time I'm actually noting my carb and cal intake. It's helping feed my obsession. :D
      Humming along in maintenance... ^^
      Patty

arcticgirl wrote:

I am trying to keep my Fat down, but this I did not know :mad: !! Thank you so much for the info, I shall have to do some further research on my choices now. Very Very Very Much appreciated :D
      Got 2 Do It

Just Keep Going.. . . . . . a loss is a loss :cheer:

[Blocked Image:
      http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wf9qpPU/weight.png]

Got2doit wrote:

I am trying to keep my Fat down, but this I did not know :mad: !! Thank you so much for the info, I shall have to do some further research on my choices now. Very Very Very Much appreciated :D

its true, i noticed that when i first started and started comparing carb and sugar contents vs the low fat versions.. last night i was looking at a jar of butter chicken sauce and they had a "lite" version right next to it.. the fat free one had hardly any fat but loaaaaaaaads of carbs and sugars and i ended up buying the original one because it had high fat but low carb and sugar.. and if i do recall on the BT dvd they tell u that some fats are good but its the fats on meats that are bad ? all in moderation i guess..
      [Blocked Image: http://swlf.lilyslim.com/6BFTp8.png]

[COLOR="Purple"][SIZE="1"]Goal 01: 75Kg .......................... accomplished!
      Goal 02: 70kg .......................... accomplished!
      Goal 03: 65kg
      Goal 04: 59kg[/SIZE][/COLOR]

How's LCHF affect one's cholesterol? I eat good fats only here...olive oil, seeds and nuts, avocado, peanut paste, tahini, etc and I stick to lean chicken and fish....red meat once a week only.
      Patty

The post was edited 1 time, last by Patty ().

I can do it the only things is it might take a while to fill it up so it will be up to people to keep it going. The problem being is most whom maintain successfully no longer need support and slowly fade away from support forums which is a shame because it leaves a false impression but totally understandable.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

Sherrie wrote:

I can do it the only things is it might take a while to fill it up so it will be up to people to keep it going. The problem being is most whom maintain successfully no longer need support and slowly fade away from support forums which is a shame because it leaves a false impression but totally understandable.

You're quite right Sherrie. On second thoughts, best not worry about it. I can post under 'lowcarbers for life' which is essentially maintenance or just stick to my diary.
      Patty

Patty wrote:

How's LCHF affect one's cholesterol? I eat good fats only here...olive oil, seeds and nuts, avocado, peanut paste, tahini, etc and I stick to lean chicken and fish....red meat once a week only.

Patty: I'm so sorry, but I must have missed your question back in August. When people eat LCHF their HDL ("good cholesterol") tends to go up, and the triglycerides (TG) tend to go down (high TG is bad for you). Some people experience that their total cholesterol goes up a bit. The LDL cholesterol may go up a bit too. LDL was traditionally thought about as the bad cholesterol, however this is a simplification. There are different types of LDL cholesterol: Fluffy particles and denser particles. The dense LDL is actually the "bad guys", and the fluffy particles are thought to be harmless. LCHF tends to increase the fluffy, harmless LDL cholesterol. So, only knowing our total cholesterol tells us very little, we need to know the whole picture to assess the risk. I'm not yet sure whether Aussie GPs yet differentiate between the differernt LDL subtypes?

I have, however, heard about people who claim to have eaten LCHF who have got a total cholesterol of 8!! It's not known how these people were eating: Where they gorging on bacon, butter, cream and cheese all day, eating no veggies and cheating with lots of sugary food on the side for example????... However, there are probably people who could get very high total cholesterols from LCHF, we all have such different genetic make-up and predispositions.

Can't forget that thyroid and hormonal problems will cause high cholesterol. Women thus naturally have higher cholesterol it also gets higher as we age and some consider it as anti-aging, you need cholesterol to produce sex hormones. Low cholesterol is again associated with depression.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Sherrie wrote:

Can't forget that thyroid and hormonal problems will cause high cholesterol. Women thus naturally have higher cholesterol it also gets higher as we age and some consider it as anti-aging, you need cholesterol to produce sex hormones. Low cholesterol is again associated with depression.

You certainly know your stuff, Articgirl. Thanks for that and you as well Sherrie.
      Last month's blood test had a good cholesterol result, but I don't have the specifics. The nurses don't tell you anything substantial over the phone.
      Patty

I always go in and get a print out when I have blood tests, if you ring first and ask they usually have it there waiting for you when you get there :)

The most common time for a diet to cause high cholesterol is in the beginning of the diet, this applies to any calorie reduced diet. The reason is that there is an initial influx of hormones and subsequent increase in cholesterol and gallstone risk from the fat burning which is where hormones are stored/produced. The more rapid the loss the more likely this will happen. But after a while it is meant to settle down.

Thanks for the link here Sherrie, was reading an article by Kresser recently (ill try and find it) chriskresser.com/the-diet-hear…ted-fat-are-not-the-enemy the link is part of a 4 part series.. which I thought was interesting reading, one of which claims eating beef that is raised on seed and grains.. tends to make your cholesterol higher than beef feed on grass.. interesting thought.. what on earth are they putting in the cow feed these days? One can only imagine......

a little about me and my journey which I posted on the general forum..
      Well its been 2 years since i started my own low carb journey.. Im pleased to say that from the original 10kgs I lost, in 2 years I'm still within 1kg of that weight. I continue to eat low carb but dont follow any set diets or WOE.
      Just by swapping pasta and bread and only eating rice (who can resist risotto forever?) occasionally, I've been able to maintain a healthier lifestyle. I do have bad days and I still drink too much wine/cider but I'm still working at making MY body healthier. I'm still off the meds that I decided had to go and the Dr. finally stopped telling me to loose weight..
      And of course I still learn alot from reading this fabulous site.. Way to go Sherrie for continuing to provide it and monitor it..
      xx
      oh an arcticgirl, im sure it was you that translated the recipe for low carb crackers from Sweedish or Norwegian.. cant remember now but thanks.. they are my saviour

The post was edited 1 time, last by gwenni ().