Newbie starting Atkins Induction tomorrow

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Newbie starting Atkins Induction tomorrow

Hi, just thought I'd introduce myself, I wish I'd found this forum ages ago, I've been using the calorie king site which I love, but since I know I need to do low carb not calorie count I knew its a good idea to switch over!

My history is similar to most I think , have always struggled with my weight, since havin my bub I want to lose about 10 kilos
      Ive tried most diets and now know low carb needs to be a way of life..

I actually just bought the fat revolution books which I want to move onto once I'm at goal and use the LCHF way of life
      But to lose the weight I want to do Atkins so I have more control of counting carbs and calories etc

Sooo.. Starting induction tomorrow :)

My sister and her boyfriend are also starting tomorro so have good support!!

I want to use calorie king.au to track my food as that's what I'm used too but I did read in one of the threads they weren't very reliable which is annoying..

Can anyone also point me to the direction of the other Atkins members?
      I saw lots of body trimmers, BT wouldn't work for me with the days off and putting a load of carbs back in my body

Cheers Lis
    • Re: Newbie starting Atkins Induction tomorrow

Welcome Lis :)

I believe Calorieking are finally using Australian food standards for their fresh food so they are much more reliable now. If you are ever unsure on an item just cross check it here NUTTAB 2010
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

No such thing when reading Australian nutritional information as fibre has already been taken out. We aren't as silly as Americans :D
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

Welcome Liz :) Glad to hear that you have support from others, as that makes it so much easier.

I'm living the LCHF way, but I still thought I'd reply. LCHF is very similar to ''old'' Atkins. I've read the Atkins books, and I guess that in the beginning I was following something like the Atkins induction, with less than 20 grams of carbs each day. I agree that the Atkins program with it's structure is great to start off with :)

BT wouldn't work for me either... Having all these carbs one day to go cold-turkey the next would just send my blood sugars on a roller coaster ride, and lead to massive cravings.

Welcome Lis!

I'm eating Primally, which is somewhat like Paleo but not as strict, a sort of modified Atkins to my mind.
      Lots of meats, fresh vegetables, some fruit (depending how you body responds to it), good oils. I eat no grains or sugars except a tiny bit of honey occasionally. My treat is 85% dark choc. Primal is adjustable - but you stay round the 100-150 carbs on maintenance. It is mod - high fat/mod protein/low-mod carbs. My mix is F 62% / P 30% / C 8% - this will change as I lose & adjust to my new weight. I have a way to go, down 18kgs (122 - 104) in 8 months an still losing nicely. Lost 111cms including 27 (12 inches) off my hips - down 4 pants sizes and 2 bra sizes. I swim 20-30 (50metre) laps 6 times a wk.
      Odille -
      following Primal Lifestyle

Low fat is so last century!

Hi Arcticgirl

I was actually looking at your blog and recipes!!
      I bought the fat revolution books by Christine Cronu
      Her cookbook is amazing so many nice recipes!
      I can't wait to get to go and start to experiment more.. Your so lucky your there already
      U lost 9 kilos? That's pretty much my goal
      How long did it take u in the beginning? Did u have a set menu?
      I need all the help I can get at the moment :)

Hi Analog6,

Thanks for your reply your programme is quite interesting I think it's great how everyone finds something unique to work for themselves! Thanks for sharing
      How did u gone up with those percentages! :)

I can't wait till its all 2nd nature it's really hard in the beginning just not knowing recipes and getting caught out

But it's goin to be a journey not a sprint and in happy for the support :)

Hi Arcticgirl

I can't wait to get to goal and start to experiment more.. Your so lucky your there already

Hi Analog6,

Thanks for your reply your programme is quite interesting I think it's great how everyone finds something unique to work for themselves! Thanks for sharing
      How did u gone up with those percentages! :)

I can't wait till its all 2nd nature it's really hard in the beginning just not knowing recipes and getting caught out

But it's goin to be a journey not a sprint and in happy for the support :)

Lis24 wrote:

Hi Arcticgirl

I can't wait to get to goal and start to experiment more.. Your so lucky your there already

Yes, I lost 9 kilos. Didn't have that much to lose, started on 71 kgs and I'm now 62. But I've always been a yoyo-dieter, and my despair just grew each time I fell off the wagon and ended up heavier than before the diet. This was on various low-fat starvation-diets, and after finding LCHF I finally managed to break the cycle! I think it took me around half a year to lose the weight, and now I've had a stable weight for almost a year - for the very first time! :)
      I think the first month I lost 3 kgs, and then it went slower. Perhaps 0.5 kgs each week. I can't quite remember, as the weight loss started to feel less important. I felt so satisfied and got so many health benefits that I stopped obsessing about losing weight fast, and just allowed it to take the time it needed. It has probably been the slowest of all the diets I've tried, but the only one sustainable over time!

I'm guessing it might take you less time than that, since you are younger than me (I'm 33) and haven't had so many years of yoyo-dieting behind you ruining your metabolism.

I didn't have a set diet, but I followed recipes and tips from all the Scandinavian LCHF blogs that are out there. I basically always had eggs for breakfast, and avoided bread and all the usual suspects. In addition, I didn't have any nuts, berry, dark chocolates or other LCHF treats until I was close to goal weight.

I'll definitely check out the books you mentioned, I hadn't heard about them before. Thanks :)

I forgot to mention that my weight loss was not stable: There were weeks where I lost more weight, and weeks where I lost none.

Now that I look at the maths I must have lost less than 0.5 kgs in average, probably more like 0.2 kg after a while.

Lis, I fiddled a lot with it. I wanted to keep my carbs around 30 per day and initially I had lower fat and higher protein. But I noticed I consistently failed to eat as much proetein as I had set, and at the same time exceeded the fat requirement. So I tweaked for a few weeks til I hit something I am happy with.

I use the Cron O meter site (although it is American based) to record because I like the format (you set your own rations under the Profile tab) and it lets me add custom foods such as entries from NUTTAL and my own recipes easily and quickly. I have been submitting the NUTTAL items to the food 'pool' but they are not showing up yet.
      Odille -
      following Primal Lifestyle

Low fat is so last century!