Low carb and TTOM

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Low carb and TTOM

So, apologies in advance for TMI but I was just wondering if anyone else noticed a change in their cycle once starting a low carb eating plan... Is this common? I've been like clockwork for over 12 months (according to my iphone :p), started a LC diet within 3 days I was spotting quite severely and now my cycle has started a few days early... Previously, like clockwork every month without fail and I've never had spotting like this before either!!

I am also in the FOULEST mood with PMS I remember being in since coming off the depo shot 18 months ago (my poor family, I'm seriously considering putting myself in time out for the rest of the night)!!

Is this common with a significant change of diet?
    • Re: Low carb and TTOM

Yes very!

It should settle in the first few months. For me it was the opposite as it didn't get along with the pill I was on so I had to stop the pill to settle it down.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

on BT they have the detox to stop the cravings .. but is it possible to get sugar cravings (chocolate cravings/sweet cravings) at TOM even if your on a low carb low sugar eating plan?

Only late last nite i gobbled down 3 pieces of low carb low sugar choc.. and today ive got the lovely lower back pain but so far tom is a no show but the back pain usualy comes first for me... i just thought i was being weak with the chocolate but after the back pain i started wondering .. is it possible to get the cravings even if you havent had much sugar in a while?
      [Blocked Image: http://swlf.lilyslim.com/6BFTp8.png]

[COLOR="Purple"][SIZE="1"]Goal 01: 75Kg .......................... accomplished!
      Goal 02: 70kg .......................... accomplished!
      Goal 03: 65kg
      Goal 04: 59kg[/SIZE][/COLOR]

TOM can definitely cause cravings, he used to take me straight out of ketosis when I was really hormonal. But the low carb chocs can definitely be the culprit also especially if they have the nastier sugar alcohols like sorbitol, maltitol etc the best one apart from the 85% ones that don't have any is the well naturally ones because they use erythritol which people have a higher tolerance for.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

none of them lala, & yea i just checked these ones i got from the chemist, they have maltitol in them! i have no idea what that is though ? is it a form of sugar? what do u mean by "nastier"?? as in bad for cravings or bad for health? where can i find choc with low carb low sugar that is the better option over the rest? damn i figured the chemist would be sellin the good stuff lol.. i like to keep some in the house for my weaker moments, at least i'd be grabbin for the lcls choc rather then normal choclate .. once i grab that stuff im hooked and then i simply fall off the low carb wagon !
      [Blocked Image: http://swlf.lilyslim.com/6BFTp8.png]

[COLOR="Purple"][SIZE="1"]Goal 01: 75Kg .......................... accomplished!
      Goal 02: 70kg .......................... accomplished!
      Goal 03: 65kg
      Goal 04: 59kg[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Maltitol is a sugar alcohol, some of the more common sugar alcohols like maltitol and sorbitol are hard to digest and cause lots of gas, bloating and the runs!

Well naturally make some that use erythritol and stevia, they are in the health food section of coles and woolies but I personally use lindt 85% which has no sugar alcohols but it's an acquired taste :)

I found a big change in TOM as well, and if I go VERY low carb for a few days (10g or so) I get spotting and then a full bleed - and always way heavier than a normal month. It does settle down for sure, your body just adjusting I think.

I read somewhere that when you make a substantial change to your diet, obviously your body doesn't know what's going on, so it goes into survival mode. And survival of your body does not include feeding a baby off the same body. So your body "purges" to ensure no pregnancy. Not sure how correct it is but it'd make sense to me.

I only eat a small amount of choccy with sugar alcohols in it. If I eat it, It's a few squares at a time when I am feeling the craving.