New and confused about Nutritial panel ?? Please help

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• New and confused about Nutritial panel ?? Please help

Hello, I am new to the carb counting/watching thing, although sadly not new to trying to loose weight, but this is the first time that I am trying to take a more healthy lifestyle option (with the help of my naturapath) as opposed to diets that I have lost / regain / lost and regained weight on . . .

Here is my dilema, and I appoligise ahead of time if it is a somewhat stupid question but here goes:

The Nutritional panel that I am currently looking at (Weight Watchers Jelly with 2 fruits) States

Energy 74 kj
      Protien 0.2g
      Fat - Total <0.1g
      - Saturated 0.0g
      Carbohydrate 4.4g
      - Sugars 3.2 g
      Dietary Fibre 0.9g
      Sodium 18mg

Now here is my question - Is the Sugar amount under the carbs included in the 4.4 ?? or is that seperate again ?? As the programe that I am using to count carbs and Sodium and Fat has a break down section for sugar and Carbs and I am lost as to what I put . . do I put the 4.4 in Carbs and the 3.2 in sugar ?? or is is 3.2 in Sugar and 1.2 in the Carbs Section ????? :confused:

My Naturapath wants me to eat only fresh meats and Veg/fruit . . . but I do live in a realistic world where this is not going to happen, so I am trying to make the best choices in a supermarket full of bad choices . .:(
    • Re: New and confused about Nutritial panel ?? Please help

The easiest way to tell that answer is by the fact that the sugars is indented under carbohydrates. This tells you straight away that the sugars are included in the carbohydrate total. So the number you follow is 4.4g

If you look at the total fats and then the saturated it is the same deal.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.
    • Re: New and confused about Nutritial panel ?? Please help

Scarlette, in Australia we don't include fibre in carbohydrate counts so with our labels you do not need to subtract fibre like you do in the US.

Also you will find US info isn't very accurate as they don't differentiate between carbs and everything else once they have taken out protein and fats etc Biggest example of this is broccoli. In Australia, where our food standards test carbohydrate content directly, broccoli is listed at only having 0.4g carbs per 100g

You will find this useful:

Nuttab 2010 (our foodstandards where Australian food labels get their info)
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sherrie: oops meant protein ().