Ketosis diet questions

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Ketosis diet questions

Hi guys, I've been on a keto diet for 2 days, I was just wondering how do you know if you're in ketosis. My friend told me its good to like do a keto diet for two weeks then for the next two weeks add some carbs to keep the body guessing and keep alternating this cycle because it increases fat burning. I've been reading online that on keto diet you can have milk and other forums say you can't. I'm guessing you can't because milk has lots of carbs? what about lactose free milk? Just wondering if anyone has tried this? Thanks all!
    • Re: Ketosis diet questions

Ultimately it's all dependent on the amounts you have. Full cream milk I think is only around 4 or so grams of carbs per 100 ml so it's not high but when you consider a 1 cup glass = 250ml it very quickly adds up.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

Ok after that I looked up a bunch of various brands of full cream milk and they were mostly between 4.7 - 4.9g per 100ml with one being as low as 3.3g and the highest I saw was 5g.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

losingit wrote:

Hi guys, I've been on a keto diet for 2 days, I was just wondering how do you know if you're in ketosis.

Forget all the guesswork and use ketostix.
      carazy.net/externalstuff/ketostix.jpg

(If you're in ketosis your body purges ketones via breath and urine)
      You urinate on them and they change colour in the presence of ketones.
      Beige means nothing, scaling up to dark purple (lots of ketones/ deep ketosis)

Not only that it's a fantastic visual motivator that lets you know that it's definitely body fat that's dropping your weight and not water loss/fluctuations. No more wondering if you're maintaining weight because "muscle weighs more that fat".

You can get them at any pharmacy usually in the diabetic section. A pack of 50 strips costs anywhere between $8-$12 so essentially a years supply for once a week testing.