Fruit Consumption

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• Fruit Consumption

I have always thought it was ok to eat any fruit at any time, simply because they were seen as healthy alternatives to junk food. However after researching their benefits I am finding some better than others and all are better consumed in the morning so that the sugars can be burnt up throughout the day. I am interested to know peoples thoughts on this as I enjoy fruit after my evening meal.
    • Re: Fruit Consumption

I disagree with the morning bit. Evening is better in my opinion as it may help boost serotonin levels and also help you sleep :)

The problem with fruits is that they can be high in sugar and also easily over eaten. Stone fruits will be in season soon and these are mostly pretty good.

Typically in low carb you choose from foods around or under 5g carbs per 100g when trying to lose weight. Some stone fruits are just over that but so are some berries that are touted as low carb fruits. For example, per 100g:

Apricot 6.6g
      Blueberry 11.3g
      Cranberry 10.4 - 12.2g (my frozen pack says 10.4 but calorie king says 12.2, not listed on food standards)
      Peach 8.7g
      Plum 6.5g
      Raspberry 7.3g
      Rhubarb 1.7g
      Strawberry 3.9g

So to me, besides strawberries; apricots, peaches and plums are better options then berries. What also makes them better is that they are not high in fructose compared to glucose which is better for people with IBS type issues. Rhubarb is also very low and in season now!

PS: This is where I get the info from: NUTTAB 2010 Online Searchable Database much more accurate then American sources.
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.

Thankyou Sherrie for the Nuttab info. I am currently in Vanuatu. While fruit and vegetables are fresh as, there are limited options. Fruits are raspberries, bananas, papaya, mangoes, watermelon and coconut. No stone fruit (too humid) and limited berries.Vegetables are mainly green leafy ones, lettuce, cucumber, bok choy,pak choy, egg plant, watercress, cabbage, carrot and onion. After more carb analysis I will select the lowest and munch away! Think I will continue to eat fruit both morning and evening ;Port however, less and more varied.

I think watermelon is low carb as most melons are pretty low or lowish. Carrots whilst considered high carb really are not, they are only around 5g per 100g so imo all those veggies are fine :) Mangoes though are high so I would avoid for a little while if you can!
      Low Carb in a Nutshell ~ Carb Counts ~ Research ~ Measurements/Conversions ~ Glossary

Let me know if you think of anything else handy from the site to put here.