insulin question diabetes 2

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Welcome to our Australian Low Carb Forums. Join us for free support, information and recipes to help you with your low carb diet. We're a friendly bunch so please register and join in the fray, but most of all have fun! If you like us please share and spread the love!

• insulin question diabetes 2

apparently carbs cause a spike in blood sugar and so you need insulin injections to help you level the spike in blood sugar

why?

isnt it far simpler to just not have the carbs in the first place?

I have just been diagnosed with diabetes 2 [on top of the coughing/breathing/choking fits which remain undiagnosed and untreated]

I scream the place down when they give me a needle for any reason and the doctor tells me I need to inject insulin

the dietician insists i have to get half my food from carbs and i dont like carbs and i suspect it is the carbs that give me the coughing/choking/breathing fits

I am suspecting that the reason dieticians tell diabetics to have carbs is because they fear that there may be health benefits we might otherwise miss out on, but I have yet to see any nutrients or fibre that one would be missing out on if one cut carbs out completely

so can anyone see any logic in following the dietician's advice to have 50% carbs just so you have to shoot up insulin? can anyone tell me that I should try harder to start to like carbs? any good reason? - just so I can scream the place down every day when someone tries to give me an insulin injection?
    • Re: insulin question diabetes 2

Hmmm, that's very interesting....I'm not giving you any advice but I would think that you would know your body better than any dietitian/dr.....in saying that my daughter is a dietitian.....I rarely discuss locarbing with her as she doesn't agree with it.....she is all about a balanced diet.....it's what they teach them at universities.....but everyone is different....do what suits you as long as your health doesn't suffer, if that means cutting down carbs...so be it....good luck!
      Mantra for 2014.....YOU CAN DO IT, NEVER GIVE UP! :cheer:
      [IMG:
      http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wMaitr6/weight.png]

Lala007 wrote:

Hmmm, that's very interesting....I'm not giving you any advice but I would think that you would know your body better than any dietitian/dr.....in saying that my daughter is a dietitian.....I rarely discuss locarbing with her as she doesn't agree with it.....she is all about a balanced diet.....it's what they teach them at universities.....but everyone is different....do what suits you as long as your health doesn't suffer, if that means cutting down carbs...so be it....good luck!

yes that is what they teach them at uni and they are not allowed to take into consideration that we are all just that little bit different and one size does not fit all

i have finally figured it out

the reason that dieticians tell everyone to be on the same diet is because anyone who has diabetes can test what damage the sugar spike in their blood did and counteract it with a suitable dose of insulin

they are told that unless diabetics eat the same as everyone else they will miss nutrients

BUT

what about someone like me? so needle phobic i would rather die than use the testing sticks to prick myself with?

i do NOT want a lifetime revolving around injecting myself [I know if it was diabetes 1 I would not have that choice]

so I am embarking on the severely calorie restricted method that I hope will cure me

guardian.co.uk/society/2011/ju…e-diet-hope-cure-diabetes

also there is a book about how they used to treat diabetes before they all went needle-happy

The Starvation Treatment of Diabetes by Rena Sarah Eckman and Lewis Webb Hill

from

gutenberg.org/ebooks/26058

I hope that helps some of you here

initforlove5 wrote:

I am embarking on the severely calorie restricted method that I hope will cure me

guardian.co.uk/society/2011/ju…e-diet-hope-cure-diabetes

The article says they were cured 'at least temporarily'. I have seen this subject discussed on several forums and the general consensus is that if you eat low calorie, you will also be eating low carb, and it is the low carb that brings the blood sugar down, not the low calorie part.

I'm curious to know if you have tried this or are still in the process of trying it and how it worked for you.